TME Tuesday: sing about songs


I have a series of music therapy resources for music therapists out there that no one has ever really heard about - sing about songs. These collections are sometimes theme-based, sometimes released monthly, and sometimes just my collections of therapeutic music experiences (TMEs - AKA what I do in sessions with clients). I always write out procedures and provide sheet music for original songs or full source materials when using other music, and I think out all sorts of therapeutic functions for the music provided as well as for the clients engaged in the TME. These editions are labors of love - a passion project - for me, and I always feel a bit queasy when I talk about them, but I am finding that I need to get more comfortable with the idea of promoting my intellectual property to a target audience.

sing about songs is the fruit of my first thesis idea. I wanted to design a music-enhanced education resource for music therapists and non-music therapists, and I had it most of the way finished when my advisor went on sabbatical, and I had to find a new advisor. My new advisor was not interested in my thesis, so she made me change my topic to something that I did not enjoy. I did it, but this project remained in my mind and my list of passion projects for many years. I finally realized that I no longer needed permission from a professor to do things on my own (I was out of school for many years before this occurred to me), so I continued my thesis project in my own way.

My first sing about songs editions were based in things that children learn during elementary school. My sister, a second grade teacher, provided some general curriculum areas, and I started writing short songs to cover those areas. Basic American history facts, science terms, sight words, phonics - all of these areas started to form. Since that time, I have really focused more on music therapists and the goals that music therapy clients come to treatment to address.

I now have seventeen books in the sing about songs series in my TPT store, including one bundle of the months of the year editions. The books and monthly theme editions are priced between $7 and $17 USD and include full TMEs (based on my TME format), suggestions for playlists, visual aid patterns, and whatever else goes with the theme of the edition. I love compiling songs and interventions to support a variety of clients as well as different age ranges, and I strive to make each edition something that many music therapists could use with some adaptations for any of the clients they work with during their day.

I hope that you will go to my TPT store - musictherapyworkscom - to look at the resources that I have available to you. You will need to sign up for an account, but it is free to do so, and there are SO many resources that are free there. I always encourage people to get an account and take advantage of the resources that are there. While you are looking, also let me know if there are things that you need that I can make for you. I am always interested in what people are needing out in the music therapy world outside of my small area. I can make things on demand, in fact, I want to figure out ways to do just that - for music therapists and others as appropriate.

So, do me a favor and click on the link to my TPT store. You might find something that you can use with your clients there. If not, then feel free to reach out to me to develop new ideas...

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals