'Tis the End: A Song I Should Write
I am leaving home - probably for the last time - to travel across our country via car. I have significantly more stuff in my car than I did when I traveled towards this destination, and that is making me laugh. I have about five new toy xylophones to add to my collection of toy xylophones. I have a bag and a box of turn of the 20th century antique sheet music. I bought a cookbook, two books on lettering styles, and lots of fiction to add to my collection. My sister and my mother (AKA my enablers) gifted me with a set of colorful Lummi sticks (think smooth rhythm sticks that people use to make rhythmic patterns including tossing to one another. I am taking home all of my father's Echo dots (they creep my family out), a speaker set that I gifted to him before he died (never opened and made him cry), his robot vacuum (which also creeps Mom out but that I think she would love if she actually tried it), a new laptop (which my business bought when my Chromebook gave up the ghost), all sorts of snacks, and lots of souvenirs from the trip my Mom and I took last week. My car is going to be full of stuff that we all felt I needed to take with me. Oh, don't forget the THREE cases of my favorite regional soda - Cactus Cooler!!
Mom is starting to rumble in her room, so it is just about time to get the packing finished and the trip started. Her cat slept with me for some of the night. He is finally getting used to being in this room. He will miss me, but Mom is staying so he will be happy to be her lapcat again. My sister will be heading out here later this morning before whisking my Mom off for lunch with friends.
I am feeling a bit nostalgic about leaving this time because I think it is the last time I will be heading east to my current home. The next trip will be one-way, and it will end up here as I transition into a new phase of being a music therapist. I am still not sure what that will entail, but I will be thinking and dreaming of what comes next for me as I drive the 1400+ miles that is ahead of me right now.
Time to get started, and I'll blog when I can...

Comments
Post a Comment