Break Time - Lots of Driving
I am currently about 900 miles away from home, sitting in a hotel room, and waiting for enough time to pass so I can get the complementary breakfast that is offered.
Why? You may ask?
Well, my mother wants to see her best friend, my sister wants me to visit, and I have little to no time constraints at the moment. So, I am hurtling towards my family at speeds of up to 85 mph in order to get there, get on a plane, fly back across the country, and visit someone that has been my mother's best friend since kindergarten.
That's why,
This is definitely a nostalgia break, for sure. My mother's friend is impressed at how I put together our itinerary. (For gracious' sake, Aunt M, I am 56 and have done this a time or two before!) We are going to fly across the country (over my house) and visit. After that, I have about a week before my friend arrives at where I will be staying. I am trying to set up some music therapy meetings to ask questions and see what my future might hold for me. I have one in the works, and I will be seeking out some more.
In the meantime, my laptop has started bulging, so I might need to spend some business money to get a new one. Before I do that, though, I am going to open up the case and see if I can move something back into place so things no longer bulge. We will see. I just need to go to a Dollar Tree and find some mini screwdrivers - highly recommend that all music therapists invest in a set of mini screwdrivers - I just don't have mine with me right now. It seems that nothing is working the way that I want it to work, and everything costs money. Isn't that the way of the world??
Two and a half hours until breakfast.
When I finally settled yesterday, I was vibrating from all the driving. Have you ever felt that way? My mother says she used to feel that way after roller skating. I feel that way after being in the ocean - the movement around me stops, but my body still experiences it in all sorts of ways.
It took me about two hours to fall asleep, and then I woke up about the same time I usually do - in a different time zone which is why I still have loads of time before I end up getting to eat breakfast and heading out on the road. I am itching to get started, but it will be better for me, in the long run, to wait.
One of the things that I want to do during this break is to investigate opportunities for me in a new location. I have come to the conclusion that I do want to continue with clinical interactions as part of my new life, but I want to do them in my intended destination. The problem? The current commute is untenable because 22 hours driving to get to my intended destination is just too much. What I need is a portal of some sort so I can live in my house (which I love) and work in my next place. Let's get on that, folks! I need a portal!
So, I am starting a list of things that I need to consider and do in order to start working in my intended destination. I am going to a place where there are not many music therapists advertising their services, so that might be a good thing. There is a new education program starting in the area that I want to be, so that is also a good thing. There might be opportunities for some supervision and possibly an internship down the road. Lots of things could happen, I just need to get going.
I have a workbook to read through to help with this process, and I am arranging some meetings with therapists who work farther away than I want to commute. I want to know things about the market, about the need for more therapists, and other information that I don't have written down - yet! I have some ins with local special educators who can help build a client base, so that will be helpful, and I am already established as a music therapist - tons of experience with the actual doing of music therapy, so that does not have to be taught. I just need to know how people chart and document and where to turn in my mileage, and then I am good to go!
Being an older music therapist is a bit strange. I try not to get into too many "in the good old days" speeches, because, quite frankly, the "good old days" were not as good as today when it comes to music therapy. I do try to keep moving forward, but I have stepped away from the community in many ways. I just get tired of the politics of posting things on various social media platforms, so I don't until I absolutely have to do so.
The problem with being an older music therapist is that I now want to transition into something else and that is difficult. I don't want a boss really. I want to do my own things, and that can be an issue for me. I do better with structure and working for a company has always been easier for me than the thought of having to do everything. Now, though, I want to try doing everything.
These past two and a half months have been good for my spirit. I have been able to think about what I enjoy doing and what I want to pursue. I am now ready to figure out what comes next, and this trip (with all of its driving and waiting and getting ready to go places) is going to help. I do best when I have a plan, so it is time to start devising one!
Writing may be sporadic over the next several weeks - it will depend on whether my laptop continues to work, my wi-fi access, and my travels all over this country. So, I'll see ya when I see ya.
Comments
Post a Comment