TME Tuesday: Creating Never Ends

One of the things that is interesting about this job of music therapy is that there are creative needs that never really end. I just finished my sing about the ocean packet (available here, by the way!), and now it is time to finish up the next sing about songs edition for the month of October. If you are unaware, I try to release my monthly subscription about three months in advance so you have the resources available well before the month arrives.

I find that composing music and coming up with ways to use songs in sessions with a variety of clients keeps me engaged and thinking. When I talk with other music therapists, I hear things like "I feel like I'm in a rut with what I do with my clients," and I get that. I understand that and have written about it over and over for many years now. Ruts happen, especially when the rigors of the job demand that the creative process take second place to working on the actual act of therapy.

So, one of my projects for this week is to write three songs for sing about October. I have the ideas already, but the actual composition has to come next.

This is the best part about writing these sing about songs editions - the actual creativity that has to happen to make them work. I spend time both making visual aids and composing songs before I start to write the therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) to go along with my creative impulses. I love this process from start to finish, and I want to share it with others!

October is an easy month for TME creation because there is all sorts of inspiration that goes along with how most people celebrate Halloween. I am not really a huge celebrator - but others do so much that there are opportunities for creativity all around! I have lots of clip-art that will go nicely with the ideas that I have for TMEs. I need to sit down with the piano and start playing with words and melodies. Once I start the improvisation process, the songs start to arrive. I need my staff paper pad and my composition software, and then I will be ready to go!

Time to compose and make some stuff!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt