Wednesday - We Will See...

I was going to write last evening but then a situation occurred which interrupted my concentration, so I did not.

Yesterday was a strange day. Students were fine, but there were lots of staff things that were happening that just threw me for a loop. For example, I went up to a group for our post-graduate program to find that the two groups have been combined into one. I was not prepared for this situation and felt surprised to the point of not knowing what to do with the extra six students that were around. The teacher in charge swore up and down that she had sent us all an email - I checked and none of us received said email. The best thing about this change is that I have one less group to do on Wednesdays now. I am very happy about that fact, but still irked that the communication did not actually happen.

I checked my phone before I left for work to find a missed call and voicemail from the dentist's office that I went to on Monday afternoon for a procedure. I have another procedure scheduled. The phone call was all about the second procedure. There is an "emergency" on the date that I have my procedure scheduled, and they wanted to know if I could come in on Thursday at 9, indicating that they have not listened to any of the things that I have said about my schedule. We ended up rescheduling the second procedure for April 6th - significantly later than the March 30th date that I had originally scheduled. Fortunately, I have been through the procedure before, so I will be less agitated and anxious on the 6th.

I then arrived home to find the situation that I alluded to at the start of this post. Someone else has an emergency that I am part of but cannot control. I, though, feel like I am blamed for all the problems that this particular person experiences - over and over and over and over again. It is very frustrating to me that I am constantly being accused of doing things that I am not doing as well as the fact that this person demands that I drop everything in my life to accommodate the situations as emergencies. Again, over and over again. 

I am heading out into today with a great reluctance. While I am glad that I have one less group to plan and execute today, I am facing an entire day of sessions for the rest of the school. Wednesdays are my busiest day with some of the best music therapy students and some of the most difficult music therapy students. I have two birthday presents I have to coordinate this evening, and it is time to get ready to travel again. It is always the case that my schedule and calendar fill up completely all at the same time. Add in the fact that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by things that are out of my control but that directly affect me over and over again, and these things become more and more stressful. When something happens in isolation, it is easy to navigate, but when things happen all at the same time, whoo-ee.

So, in the next 36 hours, I have to put together two birthday recognitions, pack my bag, get through eight groups, two individuals, two meetings, choir rehearsal, four-hours of commuting plus an addition three hours of driving to conference, and a whole lot of thinking. All of these are things that are part of my usual Wednesday and Thursday routines (except for the birthday and packing stuff), so there isn't much added to my regular schedule, but it seems like lots to navigate.

I will get things done. I don't know when or how, but I will. I am tempted to skip today because I don't feel like being a music therapist today, but I won't because I will be gone on Friday, and I was gone all last week for break. It is time to get going - in fact, it is past my usual departure time. Happy Wednesday,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA