Thoughtful Thursday: Hurry Up and Wait
Have you ever noticed that most of life is comprised of looking forward to something and then having to wait for others to get their jobs done before anything can happen?
I am currently in a "hurry up and wait" situation. I have about fourteen hours before my Spring Break officially starts, and I am so ready for all of this! I am still not entirely sure that this break will happen as it has been scheduled twice with disappointing results each time. I am not entirely sure that I will be convinced that this is actually happening until I am safely buckled into my transportation, and we have started the journey. I just took a COVID test to make sure that I am not taking any unwanted germs with me...
I have three groups and two individuals today. It is a late arrival day since I had to wait on my medication until after my work was finished yesterday. While I am excited about getting my day started, I am also aware that I have to stay home until I can be safe on the roads. It is difficult to focus my eyes on distances beyond the end of my nose until the meds wear off a bit, so I have to stay home until the dawn has started so I can see things better.
Today's work tasks are to see three groups and two individuals, do all documentation for yesterday (six groups - lots of notes), clear spaces in the music therapy room, and then get on my way. I don't usually travel at night, so this entire thing of having to work an entire day before starting is difficult for me.
I am more than ready for something to happen. I have to get a big book to read during my journey - I prefer an actual book to my electronic devices when traveling. I can do things without having to rely on charging stations and that sort of stuff. Usually, if I want to do something that requires electricity, my seat is the only one that has a broken charging station. So, into my library I go!
Once I get to my destination, I will have access to plenty of books, so I don't have to take my entire library. After perusing my choices, I've selected American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I have read it once, but I am ready to re-read it. It is a chunky book, so it should keep me busy.
My COVID test is negative, so I am confident that I can travel without making others sick.
Today's post is turning into a bunch of nattering about the near future rather than anything other than me.
This week, in my music therapy room, we have been watching lots of videos about the music of New Zealand (that's our Country of the Month for March). I will show that video two more times today before retiring it to the archives. It is the last day of the school week (kids are off tomorrow - teachers have an inservice and work day), so I have three groups that will not be seen this week or the next time we meet because I am heading to a conference later. We will see if enough people sign up for my CMTE course. I have to have five people sign up in order to do the course. Right now, I have one person signed up to learn about competency-based clinical training. So, I may be doing a course, I may not be doing a course. It's another "hurry up and wait" situation.
For the moment, though, I am going to grab all the stuff that I need to grab, get gasoline for my car, and head to work. Time to do my documentation and run my groups. I have about two hours in between groups 2 and 3 today, so I can get things up to date and finished up before I head out into the beyond.
Hurry up and wait.
Comments
Post a Comment