Thoughtful Thursday: Wednesday Was Better Than Expected...

Thoughtful Thursday 2022: Graphic includes a blue circle with a lightbulb on the right side of the circle. The circle includes the title, "Thoughtful Thursday," with additional text, "www.musictherapyworks.com" and "Thursday thoughts and musings."
Well, everyone. My Wednesday was better than I thought it would be - the student who is giving me the most challenge was absent. The rest of the class was fine except for the BHT who spent the entire session on a cellphone with a client rather than encouraging the client to engage in music therapy. I have to talk to the principal about this... ugh.

So, Wednesday went well. We have three groups today and three individuals, so it is a light session day. This means that I can finish the binder page activities that I am making for our classrooms. I can also keep working on the file folder activity innards (our post-graduate program is working on the file folder laminating - I have lots of pieces to cut out and add Velcro to before those folders come back to me - 75 folders worth! I have been busy with these things.

I am currently contemplating how to distribute these binder pages and activities to the four classrooms that seem to need them. There are some things that will not really work for the classes that I am working with, but I am still making them so something will have to be done with them. I am thinking that I might make a file folder library for teachers that includes lots of materials for them to check out, but I'm not sure that my co-workers would do that sort of thing. They can be amazingly resistant to new ideas. So, I am alternating between binder pages and file folders and between the thematic materials that I have available to me. Right now, I am finishing up the errorless binder pages. So, each class will end up with two errorless binder pages and two effortless file folders (once they are finished). I will just choose which class gets each one because they all work on the same task - learning how to put materials on a page. After those are finished, I can start working on the matching skill binder pages. There will be about the same number of those tasks to distribute.

I took some materials that are often used to enrich sensory boxes and changed them into binder pages. I have to find some binders to put these things in - I thought I had a bunch of empty binders (and I probably do buried somewhere in the boxes that are still taking up most of my home), but I can't find them right now, so I will find something to use in our supply closet. I want there to be a set place where these teachers store their materials, but who knows if they will go along with my plans for them. They certainly don't have to, but it makes sense in my mind to organize things in a certain way...

So. I am on the hunt for some binders. I also want to add some organizing tabs, stickers, and legends. You see, I have established a system for these resources. Each type of resource has a shape code - I went away from color for a couple of different reasons. First, shapes are a bit more recognizable for those who have color perception differences. Second, the use of shapes allows me to use specific colors to organize the sets of materials. An errorless activity is indicated by a donut shape and all the pieces for the "petals on the stem" activity are backed by blue paper. So, if I see a piece on the floor that is backed in blue and has a donut shape on it, I know that I can find the binder page that particular piece belongs with pretty quickly.

There you go.

At the moment, though, I am waiting to get through my medication side effects and then head to work. I have to shower before I head out and find my strips of long Velcro to take with me. I am donating those extra long strips of Velcro to the cause because I am no longer using them so why not get them out of my space here at home?

I will gather my Velcro pieces in a bag, take my shower, get dressed in some warm clothing, and then head out into the world to do my music therapy. Then I will come back home and continue my work with the Online Conference for Music Therapy - registration is going to close very soon, and then I get to stop being treasurer and focus on being continuing education director. I like that part of the job. Then, tomorrow evening, all OCMT things start up. That will take up most of my time and attention until Saturday evening. After that, I will try to get some sleep and then go to my job on Sunday morning. This is always a busy weekend, but it is also a good one. I am looking forward to it. I have a new computer to put into my mix, so I can monitor the conference on the big screen and the behind the scenes workings on the little screen. Before that, though, I need to clear off my desk so I can have a clean surface for the conference. I also need to go get some snacks as is my tradition for this weekend. I hope that you will join us - we offer international speakers, lots of CMTEs, and a dedicated staff to run things. We have so many repeat attendees that it is really nice to know that there are some music therapists in the world who value this conference and make it a priority for their CMTE needs. I love seeing familiar names in the attendance list. All of the good things make up for the exhaustion that comes from running a conference.

So, on that note, I'm going on the hunt for my Velcro strips and then take my shower. Time to start my work day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA