Synthesis Sunday: Slogging On and On

Square shaped graphic in pale blue and pale yellow gradient. Title at the top of the graphic includes website URL: www.musictherapyworks.com. In the center of the graphic is a white square that contains the following text in a list: “things to do today, fill out the to-do list, fill out the NOT to-do list,” and “write blog post.”
I have not been reading - yet again - but I uncovered my books, so I have made progress towards my goal of reading these two books and learning more about competency-based supervision and music therapy clinical training. I also have my book of notes, so everything is poised and ready to take up the books again.

I just have to do it.

I also just have to vacuum the downstairs, clean the bathrooms, choose books to read in my leisure time, and all sorts of other things...

I celebrated an anniversary yesterday. Last year, on the 19th of November, I moved into my house. This is my first home that is all mine. I am not completely (or even halfway) moved in, but I have also been either injured or sick for most of the year, so I am giving myself some grace with the fact that I haven't really unpacked. I make a little bit of progress every week, but I still have way too much and not enough places to put things. I am working on putting small things into containers which will use some of my space a bit more efficiently than I am now. The next step is to label everything so I can see what I am looking for. My first home is getting closer to what I want for myself.

To celebrate one year at this address, I worked on a bit of clearing of space in my home, and then I worked on my first ever miniature kit. I am putting together a reading nook. I am not sure that miniatures are my thing. The glue is a bit fiddly, and I always end up not having things look like the model picture, but it is an experience. Also, it is an experience that I haven't had until now. My mother likes miniatures, and I got her a kit a while back, but she has never put it together. Maybe I'll put it together for her when I go home later this year. Just gotta find it - probably not too far away from where we opened up the presents back in 2019...Kelly, don't tell Mom!

Do you know one of the most difficult things for me to do in this home of mine? Putting up pictures. For some reason, I have been reluctant to hang pictures. I spent money this past weekend on reframing the diploma my mother decorated for me. She had done beautiful diplomas and wedding invitations for my sister and for all sorts of friends, but I never got one. She started after I got my first college degree and had finished by the time I got my master's degree. I asked her to decorate a copy of my degree, and she did. The glass frame that it was in broke during my move across town, so I took it in to Michael's to get it reframed. While I was at it, I selected one of my grandmother's watercolors to be framed as well. I'm not sure where I will hang Grandma's picture, but I am thinking the upstairs hallway would be a good place. The diploma will go at the bottom of my stairs. I've turned my basement stairs into an achievement hallway with my family pictures and things that I have done along the left side of the hallway. I am also putting all of my initial sets there - the ones my family have purchased or decorated for me, and a set that my friend made as well. The library may become my tribute room. Grandma's painting may go well in that room - it doesn't have a theme yet.

Yes, in order to decorate my house, I have themes for my rooms. The living room is sunflowers and gold accent pieces. One bathroom is flowers and the other is Star Wars. The office theme is work. I don't really have a set theme for that space. The master bedroom's theme is stars. The small upstairs bedroom is entertainment - I will be putting my Disney lithographs up there - I am thinking I might do some sort of hanging installation up there - clips and grids and all that. The two downstairs bedrooms do not really have themes yet, but one is the library room and the other is the music therapy material room. I can make those spaces work by using things I already have available.

I am going to read of my music therapy texts this afternoon. After I do a bit of reading, I will move back into my library room to unpack at least one box. I will also spend some time figuring out some leisure books to read this week. First, though, I need to go to church to lead worship and preach a sermon to cover for the pastor who is has a family situation. I have no problems leading the occasional worship service. I enjoy public speaking and my church family is used to me. Some of them will be glad that I am in front because it means a short sermon. I didn't sleep well last night - mainly because of all of this - so I've been up for a long time already. I am going in a bit early - not too early because then I just get nervous - but I still have to print my sermon, the bulletin, get the powerpoint ready, and prep my Sunday School lesson. I will more than earn my meager salary this morning! I think I may get a big breakfast with pancakes from McDonald's this morning. I also have to remember to go get my medication refills this afternoon after church. So, breakfast, church stuff, medication refills, and then home to read and work and clean. Always clean.

I plan on having something to synthesize next week, but you've read that before on this blog, so no promises! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt