Being An Internship Supervisor: Things I Wish Interns Knew about CBMT Before They Become Interns
This post may come across as a bit ranty - mainly because I am always surprised at what my interns do and do not know about the Certification Board for Music Therapists and also because I am continually confused by some of the things that happen with CBMT as a certificant and a pre-approved provider. Here is a list of things that I wish interns knew about CBMT before they become interns (Ahem, I'm looking at you, music therapy professors...):
- There are more costs to being board certified than just the cost for the examination. This goes back to my own foray into the world of board certification. I wondered why I was getting a bill for maintenance fees. No one had mentioned that there was an annual cost to being a MT-BC. No one seems to mention that to current students, either. I understand why this happens, but I was not prepared for those costs. I try my best to tell interns about this extra cost. Almost everyone is surprised by this additional financial requirement. Why?
- It is not difficult to get Continuing Music Therapy Experience (CMTE) credits. I rarely have to pay for CMTEs, but I do when I am really interested in the topic or the course. As a presenter, an author, AND an internship supervisor, I usually get my credits pretty quickly and for limited to no outside funds.
- The examination is NOT a measure of your competence as a music therapist. Your internship fulfills that particular requirement. The examination tests how you problem solve and how you can use your knowledge and experience to determine the best answer that most music therapists would select. It is time for critical thinking!!
- The folks who work at CBMT are great resources! If you have questions, do not hesitate to go to the source. There is one poor staff member who has had to deal with me and with me not understanding a significant change in how things are reported to CBMT. Throughout the process of emails back and forth and back and forth (repeat as needed, ad nauseum), this staff member has been nothing but patient and supportive of me. If you have questions, then call or email them. They are here to answer those questions and to share information. This is one of the main reasons that we pay those aforementioned maintenance fees every year - so we have that support when we need it! If in doubt, CALL CBMT!
- Once you pass the examination, you never have to take it again...if you keep up with your certification, maintenance, and CMTEs! This has not always been the case, but it is now. Once passed, you never have to take the examination again!
Often, my interns ask me questions about the examination that I am unable to answer. I last took the examination 29 years ago, and things have completely changed in the past three decades. I took a pencil and paper test which was offered once per year, in a crowded hall with all sorts of people taking all sorts of tests. If you didn't pass in November, you were out of luck until the last November. My experience with the examination is so antiquated compared to what is happening these days that I really cannot speak to my interns about what will happen in their own examination experience. I refer them to talk to people who have just taken the exam rather than try to glean any information from me with my experience. I can't tell them what to expect because I never took the examination after passing it the first time.
I wish that there was more awareness of what CBMT does for us and what to expect. I know that CBMT has increased their information sessions for students, interns, and professionals. They are offering virtual sessions and recordings so information is available. Most interns haven't heard about those resources which is typical of music therapists and the information that is out there for us all. We do not seem to have a good list of resources. Perhaps...hm.
There you go. This topic is yet another one that needs to be covered in our crowded course information. Let's get better on preparing our future music therapists for CBMT!!

Comments
Post a Comment