Late Start to Day Six

Actually, that's not really true. I woke up at 3:40ish and remained awake. I wasted time on social media and have been puttering at home since then. It's been almost 6 hours since I woke up, and I have cleared off my sewing table, emptied two big boxes, and emptied nine little boxes into different storage. I also hung up a Star Wars poster in my hallway, and I intend on hanging another one by the end of the day. I have neglected the blog until now because I just didn't think about it. Isn't it Friday? If so, then it is time to talk about systems in music therapy.

I am creating a new system in my home. It's an immense undertaking because I have so much junk and things that I have collected, so it will be a huge undertaking, to be sure. Here's what I'm trying to do...

I want one of my bedrooms to be my music therapy room. It will be the place where I store my instruments, file folder activities, and extra music therapy things. Right now, I am collecting things to put in the room. I have some bookshelves that are filling up fast, but the room is currently full of boxes for other places, so the first thing that I need to do is to empty the room.

Once the room is empty, the next step is to make the room into a guest bedroom by putting together the bed frame and then move the bed onto the frame. I have an end table and a reading lamp to put into the room. As soon as that task is finished, it will be time to arrange my instruments and materials. I enjoy being able to see things and have a place for everything. This will be a functional room for me - a place to keep things to use in my music therapy future. I do not intend on having my textbooks here, but that will be the only part of my music therapy world that will not be in that room. Those will go into the library guest room.

So, now I get to have the fun of moving boxes into the library, setting up the bed frame, and the room before sorting things into my logic.

Systems exist to make our lives easier. If the systems that we create do not help us save time, money, energy, then they are not good systems. We human beings tend to replicate what works for us, but there are times when other ways of doing things will be better - we just have to figure it all out.

I enjoy systems that make sense to me. I find systems that aren't my own ridiculous -- whether they really are or not. I like being part of the formation of systems that affect me. I tend to resent having to do things the way other people tell me to do them. I can often find other ways to do things that make more sense. So, I enjoy making up my own systems.

For me, a system has to be logical to the person who has to use it. It has to be easily maintained. It also has to be easy to organize. It is better if the system can be used and understood by others, but that is not essential. A system has to work for the person who uses it.

The system that I am thinking about for my music therapy stuff will include my file folder cabinets, the slew of instruments that I have, and a closet full of materials. I might end up looking for a small desk or table to use to make more folders because I never seem to finish that particular task. Never.

So, today is for starting to empty out the room, move the bed frame downstairs, and start setting that bed up. If I can do those three things, then I can move forward in the next several days to get this room started. Time to get started...it is 10am.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt