Sunday Synthesis: What I (Should Be/Am) Reading

Here it is. Sunday again, and I have not even found the book I am reading for the betterment of my professional self. It is in one of the boxes or bags that I brought back with me from California eight days ago, but I haven't managed to unpack things yet. I have at least started, so I think I will find that book and see what is in store for me this week...

That didn't take as long as I thought it might. Hooray!! It was in the first place I looked, so I am back after mere seconds to open up this book and start my skimming process. I like it when things come together. Friday was not that sort of day, by the way, but things worked out at the end. Yesterday was a day of resting and trying to keep going through a house offer authorization and trying to get some quiet. So, having this work out so quickly, it seems to be a sign that I need to be reading this book a bit more than I have in the past...ugh...month.

In case you don't remember what I am (ahem, should be) reading right now, it is Emotional Processes in Music Therapy by John Pellitteri. I am almost finished with Part One and will be heading into Part Two which is titled, "Foundations." I have been enjoying this concept and the focus on emotional processes rather than on other ways of identifying ourselves in practice (for example, not focusing on terminology like "psychodynamic" or "behaviorism"). Emotions are something that unite all humans in their humanity, so why not start there instead of going through the different things that other humans have piled onto the concept of emotions.

If we start by looking at how humans experience emotions, we are starting from a unifying position as music therapists. I have always wanted to have a common starting place with therapists who really do not like different ways of doing music therapy than their own, and I feel that this particular book offers that starting place. My philosophy seems to include ideas from many different concepts, practices, techniques, and theories. This book helps me support my own ideas about why music therapy, music, and therapy are important to the world. My philosophy can and does expand and contract based on the ways I see music therapy working in the world.

One of the benefits that I get when I read a new music therapy concept book is this expansion and contraction of my philosophy. I find that my ideas of why I do music therapy change based on my attitudes, my energy levels, and my exposure to different ideas. At any given time, I am being swayed by all sorts of influences. I think we all are. I have to choose the influences and influencers that I will allow to move me and my way of doing things in any and all directions. In order to keep me on a new path, the influence has to make sense, show specific benefits to me and my clients, and be something that I can translate into my own practice. Without those three attributes, I am not likely to take something and make it part of what I do with my clients.

I am looking forward to doing some more reading in this text this next week. I hope to be firmly in Part Two the next time I write on this topic, but you know how life goes. I have an offer in on a house - I should know by Monday evening if it has been accepted or rejected - things will be going pretty fast if it is accepted. I am trying my best not to get excited or to make plans, but ideas for home improvement are sneaking into my consciousness at random times. I did manage to do some decluttering in my craft room yesterday. I can see the top of most of the desk in there! My other desk in here is a bit better than it was when I returned from my trip last week, but it is still not clean. I am learning how to use two new mini printers - one from my sister and one from hp that my sister recommended. I am also working on my website redesign - one small page at a time.

I am also releasing quite a few things this next month. I have decided that I am not going to be writing goals for this month. I never do them, so there is really no reason to be putting myself through the guilt of not getting things done. Also, if I do have to move this month, I need to be able to focus on that task rather than pushing myself to make an evening routine or to do other things that are not things that I am successful in establishing. Guilt has got to go! Having said that, though, I do want to read more in this book than I have been doing lately. I will put it on my bed every morning so it is waiting for me every evening. 

Thank you for reading! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt