It's Not Just ME!
I am having some revelatory moments this week about some of the feelings that I have been having. For one thing, the behaviors that are happening in music are not just happening there - they are happening in other places as well. This shouldn't (goblin) be such a large surprise, but it really it. When all I see is how a student acts in music therapy, my view of their current state is skewed. It's not helped by comments from staff members like, "He's fine until he comes to music." Well, that's not the entire truth. "He" is struggling everywhere, not just in music.
My post from yesterday revealed the "It's almost time for break" struggle that happens in classrooms all over the country and (probably) the world when the end of the school year is approaching. My sister is trying to figure out how to close a year where she didn't actually meet any of her kids in person. She is trying to figure out if she could get a park day organized. We have so many additional things to consider this year as we are finishing up this very strange year and trying to figure out what is going to happen with the next few months.
There is so much uncertainty in what is going on out there that I do not feel like I can make too many plans. We are doing well with our COVID numbers so things are opening up, but my facility is behind the curve - we are starting to open things up a bit but we are still testing clients every week and after all visits from outside people. I can go home to visit my family later this summer with the requirement that I take a rapid test three days after I come back.
Found out yesterday that I am going to have a new(ish) boss. The current principal is getting promoted so the current assistant principal is going to be promoted. We have no news about a new assistant principal yet. I am feeling a bit apprehensive about the assistant principal position since there is a teacher who has been lurking that I would not want to be in a position of supervising me. I am choosing not to worry about it because there is nothing I can do about it all. I don't think that anything will really change with my position, but you never know.
The house hunting process has stopped completely. There is nothing available in my price range that doesn't involve significant repairs. I just can't see myself tearing out walls and carpets while trying to work three part-time jobs and a full-time job. So, I signed a lease again and am trying really hard to be hopeful that there is something out there for me.
Ooh, pessimism raises its ugly head. Sorry about that.
This Tuesday is my last Tuesday of the regular school year. Next week is graduation and end of the year barbecue day, so I am going to offer alternative things for music therapy on Tuesday. I have to "help" with the music for graduation and also limit my exposure to the animals in the barn, so it will be a strange ceremony. I think I can rig up some speakers and my stereo for a CD to use. As we have had to change things this year, one of the changes is that we are going out to the ranch to have the ceremony. This will allow parents to come to the ceremony without having any sort of interaction with the rest of our students. It has been very interesting to watch decisions being made by people who have not worked with our children and who do not organize our ceremony every year. Those of us who have a role in these things have had to figure out how to put these ideas into reality. We are not having a choir this year. I can't spend much time in the barn without having an intense allergic reaction, so I won't be present to run the only music that will be available. Add that to the list of things that don't really make sense this year. Anyway, I am going to offer a curated YouTube list for my sessions that day. They can use it or not. The rest of the week will be regular sessions unless teachers decide not to come to music therapy.
Oh. My morning has started and I need to get moving into my last Tuesday for the "regular school year." I move into this day knowing that kids are struggling in places outside of music therapy as much as they are inside of music therapy. I can focus a bit more on helping them in music therapy to navigate the rest of their world.
See you soon.

Comments
Post a Comment