Song Conversion Sunday: Off the Work Shelves (So to Speak)
When we last met in a Song Conversion Sunday post, I had selected two books from my shelves. Then, I went on vacation and didn't do anything with the two books that I had selected. I'm back from vacation and very uninterested in the books that I have, so I'm changing the rules a bit - I chose a new book!
Sharp inhalations of mock horror ensuing from this corner of the world!! (In case you are not able to imply it, this is a lame attempt at humor. Forgive me, it is early here and I am a bit loopy!!)
One of my work goals is to decrease the amount of stuff that I have in my office so that I can use the space more efficiently. To that end, I packed up some of the lyric books and visual aids that I haven't used very much at all in the past year and brought them home. As I was flipping through my lyric book, I found SO many songs that are perfect for specific therapeutic outcomes (AKA goals) that I realized that the lyric book was perfect for this series. As as result, I am going through the entire process with this new book.
The folder I selected to bring home is my copy of The Flying Pig Campfire Song Book. If you have ever been to scout camp, you are SURE to find at least most of the songs that you learned written out here. For me, the most interesting part of the song book is the differences between how the collectors sing the songs and how I learned them. I find those types of folk differences very interesting. Over the years, I've printed out all of the songs and placed them in a red binder.
I love camp songs, and camp played a HUGE role in my music therapy life. I found this profession through Scouting (not really camping, but a related activity), and singing with people was always my role at campfires. Because of this, I have several camp song collections from all of the places I've camped over the years.
This song book does not include anything more than the lyrics for songs. This makes music analysis a bit more complicated, but not really since we live in the age of Google and YouTube. I find that most songs in my song books are recorded by someone out there. There are discrepancies between words and melodies, at times, but that is part of the nature of folk music, and what is camp music if not a shining example of folk music?

So, it is time to choose a song from the book. Step One: pick up the book and open it at random (eyes closed is best). Step Two: Point to location on the page. Step Three: Open eyes and see where finger is located. Step Four: Use that song... Here I go.
It's an Insect World...
Well. This is an example of a song that is not present on YouTube. Ugh. But, it is a piggy-back song, so the music will be easy enough to analyze. The lyrics are at this link. Look for the words in the list - use the alphabetical index to help you navigate - it's on there, I promise!!
Immediate reactions are as follows - this would be a great educational enrichment song for a science unit about insects. The lyrics include a list of different types of insects. The song has potential for additions and more specificity for educational goal purposes. The melody (to It's a Small World) is catchy (believe me, it sticks in my head) and familiar to many, so it is easily replicated in places where music therapists do not go (testing situations, for example). With a bit of work, it could serve as a wonderfully convenient musical mnemonic.
This week is music selection. Next week is musical element overview and therapeutic music experience (TME) development. The final week is presentation of the entire TME. Stay tuned!
I think I'll look for some insect clip art for use in a Teachers Pay Teachers file. I could write another song to go along with the insect pictures - two TMEs for one visual aid?? Deal!!
Sharp inhalations of mock horror ensuing from this corner of the world!! (In case you are not able to imply it, this is a lame attempt at humor. Forgive me, it is early here and I am a bit loopy!!)
One of my work goals is to decrease the amount of stuff that I have in my office so that I can use the space more efficiently. To that end, I packed up some of the lyric books and visual aids that I haven't used very much at all in the past year and brought them home. As I was flipping through my lyric book, I found SO many songs that are perfect for specific therapeutic outcomes (AKA goals) that I realized that the lyric book was perfect for this series. As as result, I am going through the entire process with this new book.
I love camp songs, and camp played a HUGE role in my music therapy life. I found this profession through Scouting (not really camping, but a related activity), and singing with people was always my role at campfires. Because of this, I have several camp song collections from all of the places I've camped over the years.
This song book does not include anything more than the lyrics for songs. This makes music analysis a bit more complicated, but not really since we live in the age of Google and YouTube. I find that most songs in my song books are recorded by someone out there. There are discrepancies between words and melodies, at times, but that is part of the nature of folk music, and what is camp music if not a shining example of folk music?
So, it is time to choose a song from the book. Step One: pick up the book and open it at random (eyes closed is best). Step Two: Point to location on the page. Step Three: Open eyes and see where finger is located. Step Four: Use that song... Here I go.
It's an Insect World...
Well. This is an example of a song that is not present on YouTube. Ugh. But, it is a piggy-back song, so the music will be easy enough to analyze. The lyrics are at this link. Look for the words in the list - use the alphabetical index to help you navigate - it's on there, I promise!!
Immediate reactions are as follows - this would be a great educational enrichment song for a science unit about insects. The lyrics include a list of different types of insects. The song has potential for additions and more specificity for educational goal purposes. The melody (to It's a Small World) is catchy (believe me, it sticks in my head) and familiar to many, so it is easily replicated in places where music therapists do not go (testing situations, for example). With a bit of work, it could serve as a wonderfully convenient musical mnemonic.
This week is music selection. Next week is musical element overview and therapeutic music experience (TME) development. The final week is presentation of the entire TME. Stay tuned!
I think I'll look for some insect clip art for use in a Teachers Pay Teachers file. I could write another song to go along with the insect pictures - two TMEs for one visual aid?? Deal!!

Comments
Post a Comment