Setting Up My Creativity Kit
I am in need of a creativity kit for work. I'm doing lots more sitting these days, so I need something that I can contain and use to put together some projects as I am sitting and watching. This type of kit helps to separate my role from that of primary therapist to that of observer in the view of my clients. So, I am getting together my creativity kit.
At this time, I am spending about 50% of my music therapy job time in observation, so I am doing lots of sitting and watching. I am uncomfortable with just sitting, so my creativity kit will give me something to do while I am sitting, watching, and taking notes on the sessions. The kit will also identify to my clients that I am busy and not just sitting there, staring at them. It will also keep me thinking that I am being productive. This kit will be really important to me in about several months when both of my interns are running sessions, and I have little to no active role in therapy.
Ideally, the kit will be something contained in a box so I can transport it and clean it up easily. I usually use scrapbooking containers for my project boxes - they are 13 inches by 13 inches by 4 inches and can hold lots of stuff. I use the same boxes for my session organization, so they all look the same and take up the same amount of space. I think I'd like this one to have a shoulder strap so I can transport it hands-free. That means making my box a bit more fancy than usual, but I can do that with a bit of super glue and some ribbon!!
Inside the kit, I will put some good scissors, a pencil, an eraser, a tape runner, laminating sheets, Velcro, cardstock, paper, a hole punch, some file folders, my little bitty Crayola markers, a small paper trimmer, and some index cards for use. I will also have a plastic envelope that will store my visual aids in progress. Add the laminator to the stack, and I'll be ready to go!
Now, I need some projects to do. I found my favorite music themed resource book the other day, so I'm going to leaf through that book and make some copies to put in my plastic envelope. I could use a new couple of sets of instrument cards (mine are really getting worn - I'll be running them through the laminator again), and some composer cards would be nice as well. That may be my first set of projects. I can make sets for my clinic and sets for my interns as well.
Okay. Now I have the idea of the kit and some resources to gather, so it is time to start making my kit. First step is to get the box and then choose some ribbon for the handles that I envision. Second step is to put Velcro in the box lid to hold the plastic envelope into the box. After that, it will be time to load up the box and start making things. I should have to everything that I need here at home, but I may have to go out to the Dollar Tree to finish up the project (I'm not sure if I have any super glue here at home...).
I'm off to make this. I'll post pictures later today when I am all finished with things.
Time for my work creativity kit!!
At this time, I am spending about 50% of my music therapy job time in observation, so I am doing lots of sitting and watching. I am uncomfortable with just sitting, so my creativity kit will give me something to do while I am sitting, watching, and taking notes on the sessions. The kit will also identify to my clients that I am busy and not just sitting there, staring at them. It will also keep me thinking that I am being productive. This kit will be really important to me in about several months when both of my interns are running sessions, and I have little to no active role in therapy.
Ideally, the kit will be something contained in a box so I can transport it and clean it up easily. I usually use scrapbooking containers for my project boxes - they are 13 inches by 13 inches by 4 inches and can hold lots of stuff. I use the same boxes for my session organization, so they all look the same and take up the same amount of space. I think I'd like this one to have a shoulder strap so I can transport it hands-free. That means making my box a bit more fancy than usual, but I can do that with a bit of super glue and some ribbon!!
Inside the kit, I will put some good scissors, a pencil, an eraser, a tape runner, laminating sheets, Velcro, cardstock, paper, a hole punch, some file folders, my little bitty Crayola markers, a small paper trimmer, and some index cards for use. I will also have a plastic envelope that will store my visual aids in progress. Add the laminator to the stack, and I'll be ready to go!
Now, I need some projects to do. I found my favorite music themed resource book the other day, so I'm going to leaf through that book and make some copies to put in my plastic envelope. I could use a new couple of sets of instrument cards (mine are really getting worn - I'll be running them through the laminator again), and some composer cards would be nice as well. That may be my first set of projects. I can make sets for my clinic and sets for my interns as well.
Okay. Now I have the idea of the kit and some resources to gather, so it is time to start making my kit. First step is to get the box and then choose some ribbon for the handles that I envision. Second step is to put Velcro in the box lid to hold the plastic envelope into the box. After that, it will be time to load up the box and start making things. I should have to everything that I need here at home, but I may have to go out to the Dollar Tree to finish up the project (I'm not sure if I have any super glue here at home...).
I'm off to make this. I'll post pictures later today when I am all finished with things.
Time for my work creativity kit!!

Comments
Post a Comment