Thoughtful Thursday: Being Grateful

Here in the States, it is the fourth Thursday of the month of November, so we are taking a day to be thankful. There is lots of controversy about how we celebrate, what we are celebrating, and why we celebrate the way we do, but I choose to focus on the idea behind the entire day - setting aside a day to be thankful for what I have.

In August, I started posting Daily Happiness posts on Facebook. Every single day, I look for something in my lap that makes me feel happy. I did this because I tend to get mired in negative feelings, and focusing on the positive offers me a pleasant start to my mornings. Taking 30 seconds to think of something that is a privilege or a happy thought has helped me find my positivity and my creativity.

It is a mindful practice, I guess. I engage in thinking about something that I am grateful for, and I tend to find more things to be grateful for in the process.

It's a small little practice, but it has made a difference for me.

Today, I will spend some time remembering that I have lots to be grateful for. I have a home. I have a family. I have access to food and health care. I have lots of stuff that I don't need. I have a faith system. I have lots of acquaintances, and several friends. I have rich memories and the opportunity to make many more.

What are you grateful for?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt