ESY
It's the Extended School Year (ESY) at my facility, and we are back in the swing of things right now. The classroom next to my music therapy room is full of children who scream at each other ALL THE TIME. (The "soundproofing" that I was promised during the renovation did not - hmm - actually happen. I can hear everything they do and they can hear everything I do.) Kids aren't as happy about being back at school as they were on day one. Now we all want to be sleeping in. I blame the sunshine and the swimming.
In our sessions this week, we are talking about rock bands, listening for specific instruments, throwing balls into drums (and a bit at each other as well), and playing Treble Clef (a game based on Hangman). We're trying to get back into the groove of being at school after two weeks off. We're also juggling swim schedules and 4-H and summer movies at the community center. Just about the time we get the hang of our ESY schedule, it will be time to move back into the regular school year.
The best thing about our ESY is that we don't do school on Fridays. So, today is my last day of the work week. This means that I have to finish all of my documentation today before I leave. I have to change a bit of my afternoon routine to get all of my work done, but that's part of my professional role.
Tonight, I'll be talking to interns about time management and organization. This is the second topic that we address during the free webinars that I offer to interns, and it is the beginning of a theme that starts to pop up here and there during our Thursday evening talks - work during work hours, do anything else during non-work hours - work smarter...
For me, the challenge right now isn't too much work to do, it's not enough work to do. I am still not able to have individual sessions since I cannot seem to get anyone to talk to me about when I take my CPR training and can't be completely alone with clients until I have my CPR certification, so I have lots of strange time periods that I have to fill somehow. I am spending lots of time on the computer. I've organized my cabinets, I have visual aids ready for next week, and my documentation is caught up at this point. So, I have lots of extra time that I have to fill. Eventually, I will be fully certified again, so I will fill up these currently empty hours with the type of therapy I like the best - individual sessions. Until then, though, I have to find things to do.
Anyway...
I'm going into the world today to see the screaming kids and try to give them some sort of something to do that will stop the screaming for an hour. That's all I want. Just an hour of no screaming. I hope it will work. I'm going to try "motivating" them to cooperate with each other by using the YouRock Guitar (which, I admit, is pretty cool) as an incentive. I hope it will work for a time.
Last day of the first week of ESY. Here we go.
In our sessions this week, we are talking about rock bands, listening for specific instruments, throwing balls into drums (and a bit at each other as well), and playing Treble Clef (a game based on Hangman). We're trying to get back into the groove of being at school after two weeks off. We're also juggling swim schedules and 4-H and summer movies at the community center. Just about the time we get the hang of our ESY schedule, it will be time to move back into the regular school year.
The best thing about our ESY is that we don't do school on Fridays. So, today is my last day of the work week. This means that I have to finish all of my documentation today before I leave. I have to change a bit of my afternoon routine to get all of my work done, but that's part of my professional role.
Tonight, I'll be talking to interns about time management and organization. This is the second topic that we address during the free webinars that I offer to interns, and it is the beginning of a theme that starts to pop up here and there during our Thursday evening talks - work during work hours, do anything else during non-work hours - work smarter...
For me, the challenge right now isn't too much work to do, it's not enough work to do. I am still not able to have individual sessions since I cannot seem to get anyone to talk to me about when I take my CPR training and can't be completely alone with clients until I have my CPR certification, so I have lots of strange time periods that I have to fill somehow. I am spending lots of time on the computer. I've organized my cabinets, I have visual aids ready for next week, and my documentation is caught up at this point. So, I have lots of extra time that I have to fill. Eventually, I will be fully certified again, so I will fill up these currently empty hours with the type of therapy I like the best - individual sessions. Until then, though, I have to find things to do.
Anyway...
I'm going into the world today to see the screaming kids and try to give them some sort of something to do that will stop the screaming for an hour. That's all I want. Just an hour of no screaming. I hope it will work. I'm going to try "motivating" them to cooperate with each other by using the YouRock Guitar (which, I admit, is pretty cool) as an incentive. I hope it will work for a time.
Last day of the first week of ESY. Here we go.
Comments
Post a Comment