Leaping or Staggering or Falling Into the New World
I am moving into a new era in my life. I've decided this will be so, so it is happening. As a music therapist who has been around for, face it, a very long time now, I have lots to offer and to think about, so I am starting a new chapter in my life. This is the year I stop thinking about things and actually do things!
What has inspired this train of thought? Several things. I am not very happy where I am right now both professionally and personally. I talk lots about moving on when the job becomes too much to handle or boring, so it's time to follow my own advice. If that means moving from where I am to another location, job, and/or focus, then so be it! My grandmother left the world last week for the next world, and that is inspiring me to live a life I want to live instead of a life I have to live. The last thing that is happening right now is a general feeling that there has to be more to life than what is going on. I am getting glimpses of what is possible from a friend of mine who is very good at showing me options that I've never considered before. (Hi, Janice!! ~not so subtle reference this morning!)
This morning I took a leap into the world of mentoring/supervision. This has never really been something that I've seriously considered, but the interns I've supervised over the years seem to be happy in their chosen careers, so why not expand into working with others?
This will be the year I FINALLY become a CBMT Pre-approved provider. I have the money, I have the application, and I have the time to develop coursework. (Heck, the coursework is also already developed, just not in CMTE form!) All I need to do is to go over the paperwork one more time, write that check, and send everything to Hindi at CBMT. Then, who knows where I'll be able to go?
I am going to send music therapy products to the AMTA National Conference this year, and I am going to plan on sending products to the regional conferences next year (Spring 2017).
I am going to support some of my fellow music therapists through being a more active re-poster on Facebook and Twitter. Now, I am extremely picky about who I re-post, so not just everyone will be worthy (how stuck up is that comment?), but it is time to take my followers and give them someone else to read. This also makes exploring the music therapy world something active for me rather than something I just do for fun.
Is this an ambitious plan? You betcha! Is is something that may be a complete and utter failure? You betcha! Is it still something that I feel I need to do? You betcha!
First step: decide to act
Second step: act
First step is done. Second step is starting. Here we go!
What has inspired this train of thought? Several things. I am not very happy where I am right now both professionally and personally. I talk lots about moving on when the job becomes too much to handle or boring, so it's time to follow my own advice. If that means moving from where I am to another location, job, and/or focus, then so be it! My grandmother left the world last week for the next world, and that is inspiring me to live a life I want to live instead of a life I have to live. The last thing that is happening right now is a general feeling that there has to be more to life than what is going on. I am getting glimpses of what is possible from a friend of mine who is very good at showing me options that I've never considered before. (Hi, Janice!! ~not so subtle reference this morning!)
This morning I took a leap into the world of mentoring/supervision. This has never really been something that I've seriously considered, but the interns I've supervised over the years seem to be happy in their chosen careers, so why not expand into working with others?
This will be the year I FINALLY become a CBMT Pre-approved provider. I have the money, I have the application, and I have the time to develop coursework. (Heck, the coursework is also already developed, just not in CMTE form!) All I need to do is to go over the paperwork one more time, write that check, and send everything to Hindi at CBMT. Then, who knows where I'll be able to go?
I am going to send music therapy products to the AMTA National Conference this year, and I am going to plan on sending products to the regional conferences next year (Spring 2017).
I am going to support some of my fellow music therapists through being a more active re-poster on Facebook and Twitter. Now, I am extremely picky about who I re-post, so not just everyone will be worthy (how stuck up is that comment?), but it is time to take my followers and give them someone else to read. This also makes exploring the music therapy world something active for me rather than something I just do for fun.
Is this an ambitious plan? You betcha! Is is something that may be a complete and utter failure? You betcha! Is it still something that I feel I need to do? You betcha!
First step: decide to act
Second step: act
First step is done. Second step is starting. Here we go!
Woohoo! Mj is moving to Dallas! What? That's what I heard you say.... anyway, I used to mentor prospective approved providers for cbmt so if you'd like me to look over your app I'm happy to. -Not so subtle Janice
ReplyDelete