The Music Library
I did something to the iPod during my medical leave (You can certainly see my continuing struggle with iThings in posts in this blog, if you are interested). As a result of whatever I did, my music library on the computer went from 22 thousand songs to 2 thousand. I made 20 thousand songs and files - POOF - disappear!!
So, now I am in the process of re-establishing my music library on the computer. Fortunately, I started my music therapy career a long time ago, so I have many, MANY CDs in my library. That is a good thing when it comes to disappearing music, but a bad thing when you are trying to re-rip everything that used to be there.
You can see, in the picture above, some of the CDs that I am going to rip this weekend. This is a small percentage of my collection, but these are the second round of essential CDs to load onto the iPod. I went through several of my CD books and pulled out CDs that clients asked for over this past week. There are CDs of The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Garth Brooks, Raffi, Nirvana, 80's music, 70's music, Michael Jackson, and many more for the iPod music library.
I am actually liking this process.
It may sound silly, but it is pretty fun to sit down and look at my music collection again. Once it's on the iPod, the music just sits there unless I search for it. When I look at my CDs, I can see, touch, and process the music that I have. I feel the same way about my records and the few cassettes that I still have in my collection. There is something comforting about holding onto a physical representation of music. (I also love CD booklets!) There is something sad about the electronic nature of music these days, though there is something EXTREMELY convenient about that electronic nature as well.
Well, I am going to go back to looking through my CD books, choosing the CDs that I feel I really need to have on my iPod, and then ripping the rest of the music onto the computer so I can have an electronic copy of the music as well. While I am enjoying my trip through my CD collection, I am also sold on the convenience of having all types of music at my fingertips.
Happy Ripping!!
So, now I am in the process of re-establishing my music library on the computer. Fortunately, I started my music therapy career a long time ago, so I have many, MANY CDs in my library. That is a good thing when it comes to disappearing music, but a bad thing when you are trying to re-rip everything that used to be there.
You can see, in the picture above, some of the CDs that I am going to rip this weekend. This is a small percentage of my collection, but these are the second round of essential CDs to load onto the iPod. I went through several of my CD books and pulled out CDs that clients asked for over this past week. There are CDs of The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Garth Brooks, Raffi, Nirvana, 80's music, 70's music, Michael Jackson, and many more for the iPod music library.
I am actually liking this process.
It may sound silly, but it is pretty fun to sit down and look at my music collection again. Once it's on the iPod, the music just sits there unless I search for it. When I look at my CDs, I can see, touch, and process the music that I have. I feel the same way about my records and the few cassettes that I still have in my collection. There is something comforting about holding onto a physical representation of music. (I also love CD booklets!) There is something sad about the electronic nature of music these days, though there is something EXTREMELY convenient about that electronic nature as well.
Well, I am going to go back to looking through my CD books, choosing the CDs that I feel I really need to have on my iPod, and then ripping the rest of the music onto the computer so I can have an electronic copy of the music as well. While I am enjoying my trip through my CD collection, I am also sold on the convenience of having all types of music at my fingertips.
Happy Ripping!!

Comments
Post a Comment