Talking With Some of My Favorite People
I had a webinar last night. We talked about Time Management and Organization - something that I have a handle on but still have to work on all the time. We discussed the challenges and joys of being music therapy interns (for them, a reality, for me, a distant memory) and how a change of job often means a change in managing time and workloads.
Intern webinars are things that I love to facilitate. I enjoy talking to the future of music therapy. I enjoy being a link between them and the greater music therapy world. I enjoy being able to be the one that lets them know things like "it's normal to be exhausted during your internship." I also enjoy hearing what they think about the future of this profession.
During our conversations over the years, music therapy interns have listened to me talk about their rights and responsibilities, time management and organization, the therapeutic triad, and self-care as well as several other topics. Some groups actively engage in the conversations. Other groups just sit and listen as I drone on and on. (I prefer the former to the latter!) Some of the topics are supported by lots of resources. Others are completely based on my own opinions and don't have any support other than my experiences (I like those the best!!). The conversations that develop from the powerpoints and lectures that I develop are often things that inform my own ideas and practices.
If you happen to be around interns or new professionals, take some time to ask them questions and really listen to what they have to say about the future of music therapy.
What did I learn yesterday?
Can't tell you!! (Confidentiality, you know! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!)
Thank you, interns, for talking to me. Keep going, and talk to others about your ideas of music therapy and your future. Your opinions and attitudes and needs are crucial to the profession.
Intern webinars are things that I love to facilitate. I enjoy talking to the future of music therapy. I enjoy being a link between them and the greater music therapy world. I enjoy being able to be the one that lets them know things like "it's normal to be exhausted during your internship." I also enjoy hearing what they think about the future of this profession.
During our conversations over the years, music therapy interns have listened to me talk about their rights and responsibilities, time management and organization, the therapeutic triad, and self-care as well as several other topics. Some groups actively engage in the conversations. Other groups just sit and listen as I drone on and on. (I prefer the former to the latter!) Some of the topics are supported by lots of resources. Others are completely based on my own opinions and don't have any support other than my experiences (I like those the best!!). The conversations that develop from the powerpoints and lectures that I develop are often things that inform my own ideas and practices.
If you happen to be around interns or new professionals, take some time to ask them questions and really listen to what they have to say about the future of music therapy.
What did I learn yesterday?
Can't tell you!! (Confidentiality, you know! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!)
Thank you, interns, for talking to me. Keep going, and talk to others about your ideas of music therapy and your future. Your opinions and attitudes and needs are crucial to the profession.
Comments
Post a Comment