I'm Out of Favorite Things...So, Just Friday

For the past several months, I've been writing about things in my life that I enjoy or that make my therapy life easier. I've basically run out of new things to write about, so Friday posts are going back to general posts again... at least, until I get into a theme-type of mood again or come up with a catchy, alliterative title for Friday writings!

(If you are interested in what types of things I have used as my Favorites, then click on the Favorite Things label on the left side of this blog.)

How's your week been?

My week became intensely more interesting yesterday when I was given a new task - that of data coordinator for IEPs. It is now my job to assist teachers and therapists in writing appropriate, measurable goals and set up data collection techniques. Apparently, we (at my facility for sure, and probably throughout society) have some difficulty saying what we mean when it comes to making goals. So, I get the challenge of helping my co-workers figure out and then communicate exactly what they mean when they are creating IEP goals.

This task is something I was born to do.

I love teaching others about writing appropriate goals and objectives. I have practiced this, researched this, written about this, talked about this, and taught many others about this. I know SMART components of objectives inside and out. While there are other ways to write objectives, I've researched which ones make the most sense for us, and SMART is it! I've started reviewing some of the IEPs that we have already, and I am starting to see what is needed for training and individual support. I was invited to the new teacher mentor group yesterday to get started in my new role.

This will be interesting.

I do not provide IEP-related music therapy services. I never have at this facility. I provide educational enrichment services for all clients who attend my school. This allows me to provide more direct services and less assessment and meeting times. Music therapy is listed as a related service in the Individualized Psychiatric Treatment Plan (IPTP) of each one of my residential students, but I do not formulate official music therapy goals as part of my job. All of my music therapy treatment addresses the general goals for each client. So, my involvement in writing goals and objectives is for my own department only. My co-workers have no idea that, not only can I do this, but I can do this VERY well! Some will be confused that I am now contributing.

I am going to dust off my Special Education law textbook, pull up the Kansas State Common Core Standards, and get to work today. I like a good challenge, and I think this will help me fill up some more of my time while I am stuck on light duty.

I am going to spend some time today figuring out how I will solve this current issue at my facility. I am going to do my own research, start to talk to others about what is needed, and make a plan. I think everyone will be told next Thursday that it is now my job to review their objectives and benchmarks. I think that I will also be doing the data collection aspect of things as well - my buzzword there? SIMPLIFY!!

I love a good challenge and think I have one now! Happy Friday! 

Comments

  1. You should post on Facebook to ask how to write a goal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt