Finding a Place in the Music Therapy World
When I have lots of time on my hands, I tend to start philosophizing. It's never a great thing, but it always leads me into interesting paths. Sometimes the goblins take over - "I should be... I could be... I would be better if I just..." I have to make an effort to nip those goblinish thoughts right in the bud or I fall into a morass of guilt and feelings of inadequacy. Instead, I try my best to think about the unique things I bring to this profession.
We all have unique things that we bring to our profession. Some of us are good at talking to others about music therapy. Some of us are better at composing engaging therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) for a variety of clients. Some of us are teachers, educating the next generation of students who will enter music therapy as a vocation. Most of us do the most important job of all - direct service to clients, showing individuals the direct benefit that music and therapy can have in their lives. If we didn't go to our jobs, day after day, there would be no need for education or research. We are the backbone, the foundation of music therapy - the clinicians!
I've shared the following story before, but it fits well in this post, so please forgive the repetition.
Many years ago, when I was a young therapist, I attended a national conference. I had been a music therapist for several years by this time, but still felt brand new. At that time, conference time was difficult for me. I would go to presentations, listen to all that presenters had to share, and I would feel extremely inadequate in my role as a therapist. I wasn't doing anything as impressive as those other therapists. During one of those sessions, I had an A-ha moment that changed my life!
I was sitting in a presentation that was geared towards working with older adults. Why I chose that presentation, I do not know as I have never worked with older adults as a primary population, but I think the description indicated that the presenters would share many different TMEs, and I was always trying to find new things to do with my clients. Anyway, the room was pretty full, and we were all engaged in making music together. The presenter asked us all to sing In My Merry Oldsmobile. We all started off together, including me, for the first two lines. After that, I realized I didn't know any more of the song. I put my head down, ashamed to the core that I didn't know that repertoire as well as I "should." All of a sudden, I had the realization that the majority of the people in the room wouldn't be able to sing past the first lines of any Britney Spears song (yes, it was that long ago!) if they had to! I didn't need to know repertoire for every group of people that there ever were - I just needed to know the repertoire for my group of people!
All of a sudden, my experience with conference presentations changed. I was able to realize that my place in this music therapy world was different from the places of others, and that was the way it needed to be! Simple realization? Of course it was, but it took me a long time to come to it.
Where is your place in the music therapy world?
Do you know?
I start off by thinking about what I love about being a music therapist. Simply, I love music, and I love making music with others. I've learned much with music. I have shared music with other people for as long as I can remember. My joy in sharing musical moments with others makes the not-so-good stuff that happens in every career bearable.
What do you love about being a music therapist?
I also spend time thinking about what I am good at in my role as a therapist. I feel that I have good rapport with persons with developmental disabilities, and I seem to understand those with psychiatric concerns as well. I think in several different directions, especially when faced with concerning situations in the music therapy clinic. I enjoy being a mentor and teacher. I can see different paths to a variety of outcomes. Understanding one's gifts is important.
What are you good at? Think about it. Everyone of us is good at something. Do you write interesting TMEs? Are you a people-person? Are you good at using social media to advocate for music therapy? Are you interested in research? Are you a teacher? Are you good at hosting events? You are good at something!
It is important to find a place in the music therapy world. My place is not your place, and that is wonderful! We all have a place, and there are many therapists whose skills complement mine - thank all that's good! I don't have to be everything to everyone, and neither do you.
Find your place in this world of music therapy, and rejoice in it! Don't let the goblins take over your thoughts. Stand and be proud of being you!
We all have unique things that we bring to our profession. Some of us are good at talking to others about music therapy. Some of us are better at composing engaging therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) for a variety of clients. Some of us are teachers, educating the next generation of students who will enter music therapy as a vocation. Most of us do the most important job of all - direct service to clients, showing individuals the direct benefit that music and therapy can have in their lives. If we didn't go to our jobs, day after day, there would be no need for education or research. We are the backbone, the foundation of music therapy - the clinicians!
I've shared the following story before, but it fits well in this post, so please forgive the repetition.
Many years ago, when I was a young therapist, I attended a national conference. I had been a music therapist for several years by this time, but still felt brand new. At that time, conference time was difficult for me. I would go to presentations, listen to all that presenters had to share, and I would feel extremely inadequate in my role as a therapist. I wasn't doing anything as impressive as those other therapists. During one of those sessions, I had an A-ha moment that changed my life!
I was sitting in a presentation that was geared towards working with older adults. Why I chose that presentation, I do not know as I have never worked with older adults as a primary population, but I think the description indicated that the presenters would share many different TMEs, and I was always trying to find new things to do with my clients. Anyway, the room was pretty full, and we were all engaged in making music together. The presenter asked us all to sing In My Merry Oldsmobile. We all started off together, including me, for the first two lines. After that, I realized I didn't know any more of the song. I put my head down, ashamed to the core that I didn't know that repertoire as well as I "should." All of a sudden, I had the realization that the majority of the people in the room wouldn't be able to sing past the first lines of any Britney Spears song (yes, it was that long ago!) if they had to! I didn't need to know repertoire for every group of people that there ever were - I just needed to know the repertoire for my group of people!
All of a sudden, my experience with conference presentations changed. I was able to realize that my place in this music therapy world was different from the places of others, and that was the way it needed to be! Simple realization? Of course it was, but it took me a long time to come to it.
Where is your place in the music therapy world?
Do you know?
I start off by thinking about what I love about being a music therapist. Simply, I love music, and I love making music with others. I've learned much with music. I have shared music with other people for as long as I can remember. My joy in sharing musical moments with others makes the not-so-good stuff that happens in every career bearable.
What do you love about being a music therapist?
I also spend time thinking about what I am good at in my role as a therapist. I feel that I have good rapport with persons with developmental disabilities, and I seem to understand those with psychiatric concerns as well. I think in several different directions, especially when faced with concerning situations in the music therapy clinic. I enjoy being a mentor and teacher. I can see different paths to a variety of outcomes. Understanding one's gifts is important.
What are you good at? Think about it. Everyone of us is good at something. Do you write interesting TMEs? Are you a people-person? Are you good at using social media to advocate for music therapy? Are you interested in research? Are you a teacher? Are you good at hosting events? You are good at something!
It is important to find a place in the music therapy world. My place is not your place, and that is wonderful! We all have a place, and there are many therapists whose skills complement mine - thank all that's good! I don't have to be everything to everyone, and neither do you.
Find your place in this world of music therapy, and rejoice in it! Don't let the goblins take over your thoughts. Stand and be proud of being you!
Comments
Post a Comment