Rollercoaster Life

So, yesterday pretty much vacuumed. 

It started off with a surprise violence in the workplace inservice right in the middle of the "guaranteed work time" that I was counting on to get some things done in my music therapy room. The inservice was complete with videos of hostage situations in schools and school board meetings, and all of that. Things were very graphic, and I cried during most of the videos (so did the Art Therapist, so I don't feel bad about my tears). 

I spent most of the day in a hateful haze. 

Teachers complained about the schedule after the assistant principal had rubber stamped it. She caved, and we had to change our schedules to accommodate them. I lost 2 hours of treatment time with that change.

I had to sit through additional training. You know that t-shirt that says, "I survived yet another meeting that should have just been an email?" That's totally how meetings go at my place of work. Everything could be set up in a quick online module. That may be the introvert that is me talking, but I would rather not sit through several hours of inane information and people contradicting themselves or realizing that they haven't set up the computer correctly and forcing us to watch youtube videos without audio than watch things online in my own room on my own time. It was a mess.

I made some decisions about sessions for this week, and I rearranged my room to accommodate the ever growing class numbers that we have. Today, I get to stuff 16 people into my little bitty room and try to do therapy when we are all crammed into the room. We won't be doing much movement since there really isn't any space.

My leg ached, but I was able to get home.

Once home, I found yet another note on the door that maintenance was going to be coming in to check on the smoke detectors. They gave us one last month, too, but never showed up.

Also at home, I found two messages from folks who are trying to coordinate my treatment for my Worker's Compensation injury. I was told that I would be able to find treatment closer to home, but the treatment they coordinated for me is over an hour away from my home. Every office was closed by 4pm (I got home at 4:15, of course), so I left increasingly hysterical messages on message machines all over this area. I will have to make some phone calls today to insist that I get treatment in the town where I live where I can catch public transit and get to therapy during my recuperation from surgery. I am furious about this situation and need to be proactive and assertive about this. I deserve treatment closer to home!

I called my Dad who talked me out of my hysteria and gave me a script to say to the folks today. My sister called me several times, and I finally connected with her, and she talked me down as well.

I was able to fall asleep and slept well. When my light turned on (I can't use an alarm clock - it startles me too much and starts the day off on a nervous, jangling note rather than a nice start to the day), I didn't want to get up, but knew that I had some time before I HAD to get up. The cat went to get some water, and then came back to cuddle on my legs. I couldn't move then, of course! We cuddled for a while and then started the day.

Today's plan? Four music therapy sessions, lots of phone calls to insurance agents, receptionists, and case coordinators - possibly invoking the almighty word of attorney - and some work. Without being able to see clients individually (because I can guarantee that I can assist them in being safe), my days are wide open. I get bored very easily. I hope I am able to remain calm when talking to people about my treatment. I will strive to do so! I am so tired of all of this, and I want to be better!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt