Favorite Things Friday - Music Stuff
It's Friday, so it's time to contemplate some of my Favorite things about being a music therapist. This Friday's thoughts center around the fact that I am a musician as well as a therapist. It also concerns my birthday and other times when my family gives me gifts. My family doesn't often think about giving me the gift of music or music-themed stuff, even though I have suggested that they get me instruments, or CD, or iTunes cards, or music t-shirts, or music-themed pictures...
My dad always says, "Well, I don't want to get you something that you already have." I tell him that I need duplicates and would LOVE more shaker eggs or more tambourines, but he doesn't get the hint. My sister and mother grab every instrument that they can find at their various shopping haunts, but they don't often think about getting the guitar t-shirt. Most of the things that I have in my house that are music-themed have come from friends or purchases I've made for myself.
Yesterday, I opened my birthday box and found lots of toys, trinkets, books, and treats. I thanked my sister when we spoke later, and she said, "Did you find the necklace?" I hadn't, so I explored a bit more this morning. In one of the pockets of my new purse, I found a little origami box (courtesy of my mother, I'm sure). Inside was a necklace - a music and cat-themed necklace! Here's a picture.
Inside this locket, there is a tiny treble clef, a small guitar, a keyboard, a set of headphones, two eighth notes, a cat's paw, and a small placard that says, "Love cats." It is beautiful, and it's music themed.
I love having pictures, quotations, objects that remind me of music. After all, I made the decision to be a musician and have happily centered my life around that decision. I continue to identify myself as a musician (as all of us music therapy-types should), and I love engagement in music activities as both listener and music-maker.
My new necklace will serve as a reminder to me and as a signal for those that don't know me very well about what matters to me.
By the way, the cat is demanding equal time on the blog, so here she is in all her glory...
Do you have an object, musical piece, or something else that someone gave to you that seems to encapsulate your interests or love of music? What is it?
By the way, I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, so will be blogging on a slightly different schedule. I will still strive to blog on an almost-daily basis, but posts might arrive a bit later in the day (if I can actually achieve my goal of sleeping in) so don't depend on me early.
Thanks for reading!
My dad always says, "Well, I don't want to get you something that you already have." I tell him that I need duplicates and would LOVE more shaker eggs or more tambourines, but he doesn't get the hint. My sister and mother grab every instrument that they can find at their various shopping haunts, but they don't often think about getting the guitar t-shirt. Most of the things that I have in my house that are music-themed have come from friends or purchases I've made for myself.
Yesterday, I opened my birthday box and found lots of toys, trinkets, books, and treats. I thanked my sister when we spoke later, and she said, "Did you find the necklace?" I hadn't, so I explored a bit more this morning. In one of the pockets of my new purse, I found a little origami box (courtesy of my mother, I'm sure). Inside was a necklace - a music and cat-themed necklace! Here's a picture.
| My new necklace |
I love having pictures, quotations, objects that remind me of music. After all, I made the decision to be a musician and have happily centered my life around that decision. I continue to identify myself as a musician (as all of us music therapy-types should), and I love engagement in music activities as both listener and music-maker.
My new necklace will serve as a reminder to me and as a signal for those that don't know me very well about what matters to me.
![]() |
| Bella-cat |
Do you have an object, musical piece, or something else that someone gave to you that seems to encapsulate your interests or love of music? What is it?
By the way, I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, so will be blogging on a slightly different schedule. I will still strive to blog on an almost-daily basis, but posts might arrive a bit later in the day (if I can actually achieve my goal of sleeping in) so don't depend on me early.
Thanks for reading!

Comments
Post a Comment