Finally, The Next-to-Last Major Work Change

Next Monday, my school will be put into turmoil once again as we move from our old schedule to our new pod-based schedule in our new building (almost all of us). If you've been reading my posts for the last 15 months, you know that my facility has been undergoing major renovations and things are starting to be finished. We moved in to the new building last Tuesday, and, after lots of confusion, kept the old treatment schedule. We are now moving into a new schedule. Forty-one kids will be changing classroom placements on Monday, so I am trying to prepare for being the person who gets to inform students that they are moving to a new classroom as well as trying to figure out which students will be attending "specials" (the cutesy name given to those of us who offer support and therapy services) on which day. Usually, we are a bit more prepared, but we received the new class list yesterday at 3:25pm with the expectation that we would implement all of the changes Monday morning at 7:30am.

I am actually relieved that we are going to do this. The past several weeks have been a series of ups and downs - when are going to pods? Who is going to be where? How will we even do this? - When I'd ask the principal questions, she would snap and yell at me. I am ready for this transition to occur so we can start to get into a routine that approaches the new normal for us all.

The older I get, the more I realize that structure is something that I crave. Like many of my clients, I need to be able to predict what I am going to do each day. I also need to be able plan how I am going to move from session to session in an efficient manner. With this transition, I get to move into a more normal routine. There will only be one more transition - the move into the currently unfinished music therapy space and the implementation of the full music therapy schedule. That won't happen until late October or early November, but I can start to do some individual sessions now. Choir and master classes for instruments will have to wait, but I knew that my space was not the priority from the beginning of this project, so I am aware that there is still some waiting involved.

I am reluctant to get too excited about this, but there are some feelings of anticipation that are FINALLY being resolved. Next week will probably be a mess as we try to convince kids that they belong in their new classes rather than in the familiar classrooms that we just introduced them to last Tuesday, but eventually we will settle yet again.

That's it for today. Time for change. It's always time for change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals