TME Tuesday - Coming Later Today
So, I'm late for work and not able to post a TME this morning, but I WILL get it done this afternoon... Check back in later??
UPDATE: So, if you looked at this blog yesterday, you were probably disappointed that I didn't do what I'd said I would do. Sorry for that. Life intruded, as life often does. Anyway, here is my TME Tuesday -
I love a song that I learned from John Lithgow's CD, Singing in the Bathtub - Big Kids Scare the Heck Out of Me. There is a TME on the website, www.musictherapyworks.com, at the Ideas and Experiences page. Please check it out!
Now, I love the song, and I enjoy using it with my students. It's a way to address specific fears that we all have, and we re-write the words to include appropriate solutions or ways to express our fears, but it occurs to me that the original words work very well for a bullying theme or curriculum unit.
In the song, the kid who is singing starts to talk about how he hates being around big kids 'cause they are scary. Then, he is seen as the big kid by a little kid. He has one of those A-ha moments when he realizes that every kid is someone's big kid.
After we listen to the song, we spend time talking about bullies, about being a bully, and how to stop the pattern of bullying. It is always an interesting discussion.
By the way, I highly recommend the CD Singing in the Bathtub. John Lithgow has a fun way of performing classic songs and in a way that is sophisticated as well as accessible.
Happy day!
UPDATE: So, if you looked at this blog yesterday, you were probably disappointed that I didn't do what I'd said I would do. Sorry for that. Life intruded, as life often does. Anyway, here is my TME Tuesday -
I love a song that I learned from John Lithgow's CD, Singing in the Bathtub - Big Kids Scare the Heck Out of Me. There is a TME on the website, www.musictherapyworks.com, at the Ideas and Experiences page. Please check it out!
Now, I love the song, and I enjoy using it with my students. It's a way to address specific fears that we all have, and we re-write the words to include appropriate solutions or ways to express our fears, but it occurs to me that the original words work very well for a bullying theme or curriculum unit.
In the song, the kid who is singing starts to talk about how he hates being around big kids 'cause they are scary. Then, he is seen as the big kid by a little kid. He has one of those A-ha moments when he realizes that every kid is someone's big kid.
After we listen to the song, we spend time talking about bullies, about being a bully, and how to stop the pattern of bullying. It is always an interesting discussion.
By the way, I highly recommend the CD Singing in the Bathtub. John Lithgow has a fun way of performing classic songs and in a way that is sophisticated as well as accessible.
Happy day!
Comments
Post a Comment