Make It Monday: Inspiration Strikes!!
Most of this weekend was consumed with running my first ever solo conference, Rhythm to Results: Clinical Innovations for Music Therapy with Adolescents, but I also had an email from someone who was watching my Creativity Camp videos and wanted some thoughts. That started my own creativity going, and now I have some things to start generating for my TPT store and my Etsy shop! I love it when collaboration with other music therapists helps me figure out what to do next.
The project that I have in front of me now is something that can be sustained almost indefinitely. I am looking forward to parsing the project, setting up templates, and then getting going on this project. I will be asking for ideas once I finish my own list, so stay tuned!
My book needs some love. Time to project plan the new ideas and continue to work on my current projects. I am going to see Hadestown, the musical movie, this morning, so I cannot spend all of my morning at my desk. That's a good thing. My sister will be calling for her morning check-in, so that will be happening pretty soon. I also just need to have some sort of structure to my day. Now that the conference is over, I am between big interactions, and that is always a strange feeling.
I thrive when I have a project, and accomplishing that project always includes a bit of a let-down period until the next thing comes up. That's where I am right now. I am in the let-down period which is why having a new creative project is perfect timing. It will give me something to work out while brainstorming and resting a bit.
So, the job is to start planning for this new project and play with some paper and digital file design. This is the part that I like the best - the play part. It is the part where I can try things, abandon projects, and tweak the process until I have what I consider to be my finished product.
The one thing I always forget to do is to record the process of making in some way - either in video or picture format. This will be something that I will strive to do better, we will see if I do remember or not. I enjoy watching process videos, so making them is something I think I will enjoy. We will see. It would certainly get me more practice in editing videos.
So, when inspiration strikes, I have to write it all down, get started, and then FINISH the project. Now that I am not leaving my home for work, I have the time to go through all of the unfinished ideas contained in my project book and start to finish them! The luxury of having time is something not wasted on me, be assured that I am trying to figure out what this means for me right here, right now.
So, my current quest (coming out of the discussions I had this weekend) is to build up my digital offerings for those of us working with adolescents and young adults. There continues to be a lack of resources in those age groups in the music therapy world, so I would like to be the source for all things "older" when music therapists need resources for their clients who need visuals. This project will be a good start.
So, my project plan is starting. I will be sitting down and outlining what I want to do and making some time estimations. I would like to actually time each element of the project, but I won't remember to do that, so I will have to estimate. I need to know how much time I am spending on making templates and then designing the various elements. After that, I want to time how long it takes me to complete the project in a physical format so I can let people know what to expect when they are making their own projects.
I also like to estimate costs of materials when I am making visuals. This gives those who make my projects at their place of work an idea of how much of an investment is made when completing the tasks. I also like to know how much money things cost for me. That might be a good Monday post in a bit - getting your own visual aid making kit going. Let me write that down somewhere so I don't forget. Done.
So, project planning, timing each step, making the projects from start to finish with timings there as well, estimating how much it costs to make the project, and then putting it all together into a finished product is important. Oh, and filming things during the entire process...
Lots to do, all stemming from some conversations with music therapists and an email exchange. I gotta love the way things just start to roll again when we engage in conversation with each other.
See you soon!

Comments
Post a Comment