Just A Song Sunday: Finding Something Newish

This was a pretty musical week for me. I went to see the movie of Hadestown on Monday, and Wait for Me has been in my head since. It was familiar to me when I heard it, but I am not sure how or why it felt so known to me. Now it is an earworm, and I am trying to exorcise it a bit.

I spent yesterday at my paper craft crop working on upcoming projects. This was a good choice and a good environment for thinking about products that I want to make for my fellow music therapists. I kept finding new ideas when surrounded by my favorite things, and Jackie (the person who I craft with just by happenstance) was there being quietly supportive. She is very interested in my junk journals, and always asks about them, so it was nice to spend some time just in her company and in the company of new folks. I am starting to recognize faces at these weekends.

Anyway...

I now have 18 things on my to-do list for today, and I am hoping to put a dent in each of the tasks. Boy, oh boy, do I have plans.

That isn't the topic for today, though. Today's topic is Just a Song Sunday, which means I need to talk something about a song.

As I am trying to kill my latest earworm (sorry, Hadestown, but I can't keep breaking out into "wa-a-a-it for me, I'm coming home" wails at random times during my day), I went to my music library for some inspiration. I still do not have all my CDs ripped to the computer, but I have plenty of music to select from in an attempt to get something new into my brain.

I enjoy having a bit of time to dive into my library. I use iTunes because it has the best format for the library. Windows Media Player does not work well, and I am too cheap to pay for Spotify for my personal use. If I end up getting another clinical job, then I might consider it, but I do not have that in my immediate future.

So, I am doing a bit of shuffling with my library. Let's see what comes up.

First off, there is Ancient Lands by Celtic Woman. Then, December, 1963 (Oh What a Night). This morning is going to be a good one for music, I can tell!

One of my favorite ways of slipping into my love of music is just to put my library on shuffle and see what comes up. I love hearing things change from one song to the next with abrupt changes. Other people do not respond to the differences in songs the same way I do. The changes in my musical environment stimulate me, encourage attention to the music, and keep me interested in what will happen next. Other people find changing from style, genre, mood, and other names that they have for music elements jarring. Not me - it helps me keep going when music is in the atmosphere.

O Mio Babbino Caro - from Quiet on the Set - James Galway at the Movies. I sang this for one of my freshman juries. I remember the name of the song but not the words. I know it is in my lesson book, but I am not all that interested in reliving the juries that I went through as a vocalist music therapy student. I wonder if the trumpet jury professors were nicer than the voice professors. Hm.

Breathe - Piano for Relaxation is the next track on this Sunday morning. I am not always a fan of "relaxation music" mainly because it gets into my head and never really ends.

Cancion de Cuna - Eliot Fisk from A Starry Night - this is one of my favorite lullaby albums of all time, and this song is very relaxing for me.

I am going to keep the music on while I am working on my tasks - I hope it will be just enough music to keep my energy going as I work on new releases and creative ideas born in my papercrafting weekend.

What are you listening to?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt