Fun Friday: Professional Development as Part of My Routine
It is Friday again, and lots has happened to my loved ones this week that has affected me a bit. I am separated from the situations since I am far away, but I have engaged in phone support while waiting to hear if I will be called for jury duty here at home.
As I wrote about yesterday, I am struggling with the change of routine that I have now. I am trying to figure out how I am going to work both here at home and outside of my home. One of the things that I want to get into doing is professional development on a daily basis.
I am a member of Skillshare, so there are many courses available to me, but I have to actually open them up and do the work. I have also signed up for a consulting class that I need to start because my access goes away in four months, and it cost lots of money. I am trying to figure out how to get into the course right now because I only have four months left!!
I am trying to get back into a routine that makes sense for me. This has been the most difficult part of my transition to retiree so far. I no longer have a set schedule, and that is something that is not easy to navigate as someone who had their day organized to the minute.
So, I am going to try to set up my days into a routine. I seem to be waking around 5:30 these days (which is later than I used to so, SCORE!!), so my routine can start there. I want to do some crafting, some creating, and some learning every day. I also need to add in chores for my home maintenance and hygiene tasks. The other thing I need to figure out is when I will go do things out of my house.
I am structure seeking right now.
One of the things that I always found interesting about my co-workers at my old job was that the staff that remained in the position often needed the same things that our students needed - consistency and structure. We did best when we had all of our day organized with opportunities for novelty within the structure of our schedule and routine. Put us into a situation that is different from our regular schedule, and we cannot function. I don't know if we became that way because of the clients we served or if we are hard wired this way, but it was interesting to watch the faculty engage in "regular teacher stuff" rather than "working with THOSE kids stuff."
So, I am off to organize some professional development time into a routine. I am going to try to make this routine a habit. Wake up between 5am and 6am, blog, work a bit, eat a bit, clean a bit, all that stuff into some habitual responses for my days. Time to get going for this morning, so I am going to figure out how to log into my professional development course and get started with it! After that, who knows??
Thanks for reading...

Comments
Post a Comment