Break Chronicles: The End
Today is the last bit of time before the end of my winter break, and I am currently three airports away from my job. Today will be a "hurry up and wait" type of day - hurry through chores and to the airport. Wait for boarding time. Hurry through the second airport of the day to get to the next flight. Wait for the plane to land in airport number 3. Wait for the shuttle to the parking lot. Hurry into the car to get the heater going because it will be much colder there than it is here. Hurry to get into the heavy coat. Wait for the defroster to do its magic before hurrying home to get medications and a bit of sleep before going to the hand specialist tomorrow morning. I am hoping to squeeze a visit to the hospital in after chores and before going to the airport so I can see my Mom one more time.
Nothing is a greater example of "hurry up and wait" than the hospital setting. We wait with Mom until the physician arrives and stays for 3 minutes. We wait to see if the physician does order another test. We wait until the IV bag is empty so she can get another one. She wants to go home so bad it is palpable, but she is not leaving until we can get her illness under control. Her roommate has been in the hospital for over a week now and is also wanting to go home. Every thing seems to have an urgency to it that is belied by the pace that things actually happen. We are not sure if Mom will have another test or not - I am not sure what the doctor is waiting for, but she will be in the hospital for most of today and possibly tomorrow as well as they manage her pain and work on clearing the infection that she has.
Meanwhile, the cat has accepted that he likes being in my room to sleep in a box.
That is the only function that he has found for me at this moment - he will deign to sleep near me because I am A human, but I am NOT his favorite humans.
For now, though, it is enough.
My break officially ends today. I need to inform my supervisor that I will be late to our professional development day due to a worker's compensation appointment near my house (hooray!) so I can figure out what is happening with my ring finger. I will be missing the "trauma informed care" lecture given by two people that I just do not click with at all, so I am not extremely disappointed at having to miss that lecture. I am a trained trauma informed care workshop facilitator, so I am sure that I can catch up on the material. I am hoping that everything goes well with my flights today, but we will see. There is always a bit of a chance that things will not work out easily, but I am hopeful that I will be back where I need to be by 8:30 am tomorrow morning.
Happy Day 2 of this year, all. "See" you soon.


Comments
Post a Comment