Thoughtful Thursday: A Quick Post This Morning
I have to write something short and sweet today because I have only about 50 minutes before I have to go to work. My brain is not fully functioning at the moment - blame it on the chemicals that I have to take to maintain my back pain tolerance - so I am just thinking about all sorts of things but cannot really capture much of anything.
I have not written any of my TMEs for this week yet. I have been continuously engaged in aggressive acts from my clients and my bruises have not faded from last week's engagement. I am tired, I am cranky, and I do not want to go to work...ever again.
Perhaps I should buy some Powerball tickets - I think I could live quite nicely on the lump sum from 1.2 billion dollars, but my odds of winning are only slightly better if I buy a ticket than if I don't, so I probably won't do that. I am having fun thinking about what I would do if I won, though. Anyone want an artist colony-music therapy residency-conference center-community fine arts center? I would love to make something like that if I had no worries about money ever again...
What a concept - an existence without having to worry about money. I don't know if I will ever get to that point, but it would be nice to be there. Right now, though, the only chance that I have to accomplish this is to try to win the lottery...
There are many things that I gain from being a music therapist but being rich is not one of those things. Like many of us, I have a salary that is equivalent to a teacher with equivalent education and experience. I have a comfortable existence. I cannot afford to go jetting off to different parts of the world whenever, but I can go places occasionally. I have to plan things very carefully when it comes to my finances, but that is the case of most of us in the middle class. I am able to save for the trips that I want to take and do things that I want to do, but things can be tight at times.
I never expected to get rich doing this job, and I hope that other music therapists out there don't either. I expect to be comfortable and able to what I need to live on my own. That has always been my main goal - not having to have a roommate to help with the bills and not going into bankruptcy. That's the goal. So far, I have managed to accomplish that goal, and I hope that I can continue to remain out of bankruptcy and live alone. (There is no danger of either of those things happening at the moment - these are just my biggest fears about my finances.)
I think financial worries are the biggest things that people stress about.
Am I right?
I have spent many years pinching pennies to pay for tuition and paying off my student loans. I had to figure out my priorities and did not do much of what I wanted to do because I couldn't afford them. I made my choices for what was important in my life, and I was able to budget and get those important things accomplished. I am now in a place where I have less stresses about money, but they are still there. I will probably have to replace my furnace this winter - that will take up so much of my savings that I am having to mentally prepare for the sticker shock. It is going to be rough, but I am getting ready.
My brain is starting to wake up, so I need to get ready to go to work. I am praying that this week's first session will be smoother than last week's first session. I am also praying that I will be able to wake up my brain enough to get some TMEs written down. What I need this week is to write TMEs that do not include original compositions. Those are usually easier to write up because I do not have to transfer music into the files. I also don't have to figure out the rhythm patterns. That takes the most time for me - something I might want to practice a bit...
Time to head out into the world. See you all soon...

Comments
Post a Comment