Break Chronicles: Day Five - Holiday

Break Chronicles: Picture has a background image of a meadow with several tall trees, the sun shining through leaves, and a lake in the far background. The text includes the author’s Instagram handle, @musictherapyworkslandaker, the title of the post, “Break Chronicles,” and the URL of the website, www.musictherapyworks.com.
It is 5:15 am, and I am sitting here, wondering what I am going to write about today. Today is a national holiday which keeps me from going someplace or doing something like a movie - I don't want to reward companies for making their employees work to serve me on days like this - and I am not really in the mood for a celebration of any sort outside in the heat and the humidity, so I guess I will be sitting here at home.

This is the sort of day that makes my introverted nature happy. I don't have to actually go anywhere or do anything. I can also refuse any sort of invitations because "I have plans." Of course, my plans involve being here at home, relaxing in the air conditioning, and enjoying my own brand of entertainment, but no one needs to know that. They are my plans.

I think I will put up some decor shelves today. I have a bunch of displays for some of the stuff that I have collected over the years, and I have not put them up on the walls yet. It is time to move some things around. I am always looking for ways to make my spaces more functional, and shelves for the decorations are a good place to start. By moving some of my decorations around, I will have a bit more space for storage containers. I have already put up my ribbon holder (something I came up with that arranges my ribbons and elastic strings onto a lattice of dowels and ribbon), and that addition to my storage enabled me to free up one drawer and a bit of a shelf.

If nothing else, I will accomplish some rest today. I have to wait a bit before I start nailing things into the shared walls of my duplex - I try to be a good neighbor so I don't use a hammer on the shared wall before 10 am. All of the other walls are fair game, though. Right now, I am trying to decide where to put things. I hate putting nails into walls when I am not entirely sure where I want stuff to go. So, I am dithering with my decorations.

I am working towards functional style. I want things that help me organize my stuff and keep it looking neat. Anything that leads me towards that goal is desirable - so, I don't really have a decorating style, I have an eye towards function. If it can help me with my end goal, then I will take it!

As I look around at my cluttered office/creative space, I see too much stuff out without functional storage. So, it is time to match my storage to my stuff. I have a wall of craft materials and storage spaces. Some things are in boxes. Other things are just sitting out on the shelving. Some of the stuff that ended up there is not craft stuff, so it needs to go someplace else - I wonder where that will be at the end of it all...

Every time I start a project like this one, I end up getting it going and then stalling because I hit a storage dilemma. I get started and then I start thinking about how nice things would look if all the boxes were the same size. Then, I go out searching for the boxes that I want just to find that they are not available until later in the summer. So, I end up with stuff everywhere - just moved around a bit. I am going to try something different today.

The first thing that I am going to do is to remove all non-craft materials from the storage area. That includes decorative items, binding machine combs, Pez dispensers, books, and all that kind of stuff. Once those items are gone, I will be able to see what space I have available. Then, I can figure out some storage zones.

Enough talking about it - time to get going. Three and a half more hours before I can nail things into the shared wall...

Updates tomorrow on my progress!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals