Thoughtful Thursday: Appreciating Professional Development Time Right Now

I did not register for the AMTA Symposium which happened this week. I didn't register because I was not interested in the topics presented. While I continue to support the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) with my membership dues and attendance at some events, I have become much more finicky when it comes to paying money for continuing education and conferences.

I feel like I have become a crusty old music therapist - someone who has seen it all and feels like there is nothing new out there to learn. Now, I know that is not the case, but I am just tired of hearing the same old things from the same old people. I am tired of spending tons of money to not take anything back with me to my music therapy job. So, I haven't been to an AMTA conference in a long time - even before the pandemic happened. (Wait, that's not true - I "went" to conference either last year or the year before that...)

I am in the middle of my professional development days right now. Yesterday was spent in dreaming about what my next iteration will be and then getting some things started for the present. I brainstormed a bit, went to the Dollar Tree for some food containers, went to the grocery store to get food for those containers, and then came home for a nap. After the nap (which wasn't as refreshing as I had hoped it would be), I continued with my brainstorming and then went out of my home for choir rehearsal. After rehearsal, I called my Mom and then my sister. That was PD Day #1.

This morning started later than usual. I slept in a bit and then got up and came down to my office/craft studio to write and get started with all sorts of things. I finished up some tasks for the Online Conference for Music Therapy, Inc., and then got some of my own CBMT stuff started. I'm up for recertification next year, so I am getting things put together this year. This is my usual routine when it is time to recertify. This gives me one more year to finish up any sort of requirements that I need to finish up before things have to be finalized.

I am now on the phone with my sister. We are starting to do more and more of these early morning phone calls. I have no problem with it at all since we always have lots to talk about. Right now, we are talking about movies.

I need to spend time away from work and immersed in music therapy topics every so often. There are advantages to being the only music therapist at my facility, but there are disadvantages as well. It can be lonely being the only music therapist around, so getting some time to focus solely on music therapy things is refreshing. I am doing some of the administrative things that have to happen in order to continue to be a music therapist in a public school around here this week. I am also evaluating my life as a music therapist for the next several years.

This type of introspection happens every year during conference season. I spent the last several years using this time to think and plan things. I will have my professional quests outlined by the end of this week. I will also take time to relax.

For the moment, my sister is almost to her school, so it will be time to start my endeavors for the day. First up? Put some chicken in the crock pot. Second? Review AMTA Competencies and CBMT Board Certification Domains for continuing education interests and things to pursue in the next several years (after my recertification cycle starts up again). Third? Budgeting for the upcoming months. Other things? Some Teachers Pay Teachers idea generation, some clip-art exploration, and lots and lots of thinking...so much thinking. The good news is that I get to do this all over again next week!

So, I am appreciating the opportunity to be evaluating my music therapy life and presence.

Happy Thursday, all! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals