Adulting - One Quest Accomplished! Time to Level Up!!

I finally got over my drilling anxiety and finished the toilet paper holder project that I had set as a quest for this break! As I was feeling really good about myself, I decided to go outside to my backyard, twisted the door lock, and then found myself staring at the lock which disintegrated into my hand. So, I watched a video on how to change sliding door locks, ordered a new lock set, and am ready to replace that done for lock as my adulting quest for today.

I am finding that this home ownership thing is not for the weak. Halfway through my toilet paper anxiety, I told myself that the stress and anxiety was not worth it and that I needed to find a handy person of some sort to pay so I did not have to do this anymore. The next day, I finished the project on my own. I know that I can change a lock - I've done it more than once - but now I am wondering what will be the next home quest...

I am liking the way that I am working through quests rather than working towards my goals. Just in case you haven't heard, I decided to focus on life quests rather than setting goals for myself this year. I am great at writing goals but I am horrible at actually working towards those goals. As a result, I decided I needed to try some different systems to see what works the best for me.

Right now, I am using a bit of The Hero's Journal and a bit of the Kanban Method to organize my quests. I have adapted both of these things to help me figure out what works and what doesn't work for me. So far, the conceptualization of my goals as quests seems to be the most effective part of all of this exploration and experimentation. Other things are happening, though, so this is something that is good for me.

This month is the last of the first quarter of 2022, so it means that I am going to spend some time looking at my quests and trying to figure out where I go next. I feel like I have made some progress.


I started the year with my word. After I decided on my word of the year - Explore - I started thinking about how that word made me think and the emotions that I have associated with those thoughts. I then found five areas that I wanted to concentrate on this year - places, health, connection, ideas, and identity. I brainstormed some of the things that fit under each one of these areas. I use this list to help me decide if I have been exploring the world the way I want to. As I am preparing to get started on my quarter two quest list, I will be looking at how I have done in these areas. Have I explored something on the list for each one? If not, what is missing? Where do I want to focus during the next three months?

You might notice that none of these areas include improvements on my home. That is a completely different type of quest!

The best thing about thinking about quests is that they change and swerve from time to time. There are side quests that arrive and make you go a different path from what you expected. There are obstacles that arrive that make you have to approach a situation in a different manner. There are characters that arrive that demand attention or who seem important but not at the particular moment. It is fascinating!

I am leveling up to Full Adult - Home Owner - Level 2.3 today. It is a quest that I did not anticipate, but it is something that has to be mastered before I can move into the next level. As soon as it is finished, I can move to the next thing that has to be done...

Meanwhile, I found the reward of a planter in my backyard that is completely full of bulbs that are growing under and through the grasses that took over. That's what I was going out to look at when my lock broke. There are so many leaves out there that I am a bit overwhelmed with what is happening - spring! Here in my new place!! I might have tulips out there...or lilies...or iris! I would LOVE an iris corner! We will see. It is a bit of a mystery, to be sure!

Today's foray into my quest list is to find a place to explore that is either local or Google Earth worthy. It is time to explore a new place, try something on the connection list, and then continue to explore the concepts of identity and my health. I am released to wear regular shoes and do some low impact exercise, so I can work on my exercise again...just gotta uncover the stationary bike. This is a good situation to be in, and I am very happy that I still have two days of break to be on my own and to think about important and not-so-important things!

Adulting - Level 2.3 is waiting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals