Doggie, Doggie

One of the most popular Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs) at my facility is a children's game, "Doggie, Doggie, Where's Your Bone?" I am not sure why it is so popular, but it really is, so we end up playing it more often than any other game TME. It is requested by my long-term clients. The "I'm too cool for school" kids even play it and request it. It is an interesting phenomenon for me to see how this particular game makes the list of the top 10 TMEs at my facility - hands down!

To play this game, we sit in a circle, and I get out one of my wrist bells. One person is selected as "Doggie." That person turns around and puts their hands near their eyes so they cannot see. One person is chosen as "Thief" and has to sneak up, take the bells, and then return to their seat. The bells get hidden behind the back of the "thief" and then everyone gets into the action. We put on our best guilty or innocent faces and start the chant - Doggie, doggie, where's your bone? Somebody stole it from your home. Guess who! "Doggie" then has three chances to guess who the "thief" was. If "Doggie" can't find the "thief" in three chances, then we have "Doggie" close their eyes again and the "thief" shakes the bells to give an auditory clue. The "thief" then becomes the next "Doggie" and we start over again.

Now, this is not my idea. It is a game that we played when I was in elementary school - it was one of our rain day treats, that and "Heads Up, Seven Up!" I justify using this game in my music therapy practice because it encourages close listening and teamwork. Plus, it is just fun.

I have two more sessions where we will be playing this game this week. We will probably play it another time before the break happens.

That's all for today - I was in bed until 5am this morning after being up late yesterday. It was a good day, and I actually approximated my desired bed and wake times in the past 12 hours. If only I could get this to be my pattern or routine...We will see.

Hope that you can use this post to inspire some sort of silly game interaction with your clients!

See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt