Trying Hard Not to Be Overly Optimistic About This Next Week

It is Day One of my Spring Break, and I am doing what I always do - make an un-doable to-do list of things that I want to accomplish in the next eight days. I know that this is not possible, but I still feel compelled to make plans. This time around, though, I am going to try to be smart about all of this...we'll see...keep your fingers crossed for me.

I am heading to my post-it notes to help me organize. I have two appointments that I absolutely have to do. Those are going to be listed on CBMT post-its (I have lots of those freebies from conferences past). Work-related tasks will go onto pink post-its. I don't have much to do for work, but I am working my part-time job this week, so I have to complete the Sunday School video and lead the music at worship. Now, though, I have to get to the smaller details. I have three other colors of post-its, so I can arrange things in three different groups of things to get done. I'm going with orange for things that I like to do - I don't like orange, but this will encourage me to get things done and not avoid these tasks because of the color...maybe. Junk journaling, making journals, shopping for treats, washing the car, reading, practicing my lettering, and completing some classes on SkillShare are on orange sticky notes - all things that I enjoy. Blue can be for chores. Okay, dishes, kitchen deep clean, and bathroom deep clean are on those notes. Green post-its are for things that I need to get done that I don't particularly want to do but have to do. These tasks include errands, phone calls, and other things that have to get finished before other things can be checked off. 

So, I am now organized with the things that I want to get done this week. The biggest tasks will be the deep clean tasks, but I intend on getting rid of things that I never use, so most of the deep clean tasks will be throwing things away before wiping down everything possible and then putting the essentials (and only the essentials) back into each area. If I can get one item from each category finished each day then I will feel that I accomplished something during this week off while still getting plenty of opportunity to rest and relax during my break.

Oh, just thought of a couple more things to put on the to-do list. That's what always happens to me when I try to simplify - more things pop up. RESIST THE URGE TO ADD MORE UNTIL THINGS ARE FINISHED! 

Today's pink task is to finish the Sunday School video for posting later today. I will do some lettering and some reading (orange) and the dishes (blue). I may also get the next round of tax information printed out (green). We will see what I get accomplished. For the moment, though, I have a plan.

There is self-care in planning - well, at least there is for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals