The Stuff on My Desk
My current state of being is that of restless anticipation. I know why this is happening. Tomorrow, my next intern arrives to start her internship, and I am nervous about it.
That's right, I get nervous every time a music therapy intern arrives to my facility. I always have so many thoughts and questions and concerns and fears and anticipations and it keeps me up at night and gives me all sorts of energy and keeps me from sleeping. It's such a wonderful form of stress that I put myself through on a regular basis.
I talk quite a bit about how to be an intern. There isn't as much out there about how to be an internship director, so here you go.
I get nervous every single time I accept an intern into my program...and those nerves escalate the day before that intern starts.When I am feeling this way, I try really hard to channel those nerves into productive tasks. For today, I will start here, at my desk.
At the moment, I am working on a couple of different types of projects that are scattered in different parts of my desk. There are the notes for the webinar to be held this Thursday, my bullet journal, my small laminator, and my stack of things to send out to other people. I have my fineline markers (that I use in my bullet journal), some leftover fortune cookies, and my mug of water. My passwords are all within easy reach. I have to do some rearranging so that there are specific zones for specific projects (that's where my particular brand of organization comes into play - I like to have places for specific things). For example, the laminator has a shelf on my other desk area. It comes out to this desk when I use it because this desk is the one with the power strip. The other desk has great natural light, but no power. That's something that I'll rectify at some point, but not today.
I feel like I have made some good progress toward my goals lately. I've spent some time engaged in thinking, but I've done so much more than just think. I've put things into action! I'm trying to focus on doing things rather than just thinking about things. I am also trying really hard to work on all my projects at least a little bit a day - some work on my new book, some work on my TPT store, some work on my social media accounts, some work on my webinar series, you get the idea. I also have some penguin note file folder activities to cut out and some Olaf pieces for a "build a snowman" TME that I'm getting ready for later on. All of these things are currently living on my desk, and it is time to put them someplace else! So, I'm gonna do that for the rest of my morning.
I am glad that I have identified the reasons behind my particular brand of energy this morning, and I am going to put that energy to good use by getting things a bit more organized around here.
Tomorrow, I go back into the world as an Internship Director, but today is just for straightening things that I can straighten and putting things in their places...
Comments
Post a Comment