Tuesday's Groups Have Far to Go
Have you ever read the rhyme about children and when they are born? Let me see if I can find it on the internet (be right back!)...
My mother has always chanted this poem to us. She seemed to like that all of us were Thursday's children. She, herself, was born on a Sunday, and she likes being a Sabbath day child.
For the purposes of this post, however, I am going to change things a bit to fit my point.
Yesterday was another snow day. My Tuesday groups missed out on another opportunity to do centers. So, they have farther to go when it comes to familiarity with this new way of doing things than the Monday and Wednesday groups. My Tuesday/Thursday groups have had two snow days this new calendar year and no regular music therapy sessions. I'm hoping the trend of inclement weather every other day does not continue.
I want to get back into my regular routine.
We now have two inclement weather days under our belt for this day. That is good, but not wonderful, as we now have two days out of our routine in the past week. Our structure has been interrupted, and that affects me about as much as it seems to affect my students. In fact, it may affect me more.
I am a creature of habit. I like having a structure and working within that structure. When my structure changes, I can adapt, but I don't like to adapt. If I am out of my routine more than one day in a row, I get more cranky (exponentially more cranky) as the interruptions add up. I crave my structure and routine.
Today, as far as I know, I am going back into my regular Wednesday routine. I'll see the kids that I see all the time in their regular sessions. Some of the students will be resentful because they already have had music more than usual this week. Others will be happy that they get more music.
I have no plans for what to do with them today.
I will get back to work and establish my routine again. Arrive, check email, start up a television show on DVD (currently am watching Star Wars: Rebels, Season Two), and then start my documentation routine. Yesterday's documentation should be pretty easy - sure, I have 64 notes to do instead of my usual 40+something - everything will be cut and paste since everyone did the same thing yesterday. I'll sit down with my strategy book and plan my sessions for today. I have sessions planned for tomorrow already - centers. I'll keep working on the strategies for next week - more centers are in store for my clients. My schedule is a bit upset due to the inclement weather and some training that's happening today, so I have a couple more hours today than I usually have available to engage in my strategizing process.
I am going to set my intention today and then see it through.
Intention - finish strategizing and planning for next week and the month of June.
Meanwhile, I'll figure out how to teach Tuesday's groups about what to do with centers - something will have to change for those groups from what the Monday and Wednesday groups will do. I wonder what that change will be...
(In the interest of self-disclosure, I am a Thursday's child. There you go.)
- Monday's child is fair of face
- Tuesday's child is full of grace
- Wednesday's child is full of woe
- Thursday's child has far to go,
- Friday's child is loving and giving,
- Saturday's child works hard for a living,
- But the child who is born on the Sabbath day
- Is bonnie and blithe and good and gay. (Retrieved from: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Monday%27s+child+is+fair+of+face)
My mother has always chanted this poem to us. She seemed to like that all of us were Thursday's children. She, herself, was born on a Sunday, and she likes being a Sabbath day child.
For the purposes of this post, however, I am going to change things a bit to fit my point.
Yesterday was another snow day. My Tuesday groups missed out on another opportunity to do centers. So, they have farther to go when it comes to familiarity with this new way of doing things than the Monday and Wednesday groups. My Tuesday/Thursday groups have had two snow days this new calendar year and no regular music therapy sessions. I'm hoping the trend of inclement weather every other day does not continue.
I want to get back into my regular routine.
We now have two inclement weather days under our belt for this day. That is good, but not wonderful, as we now have two days out of our routine in the past week. Our structure has been interrupted, and that affects me about as much as it seems to affect my students. In fact, it may affect me more.
I am a creature of habit. I like having a structure and working within that structure. When my structure changes, I can adapt, but I don't like to adapt. If I am out of my routine more than one day in a row, I get more cranky (exponentially more cranky) as the interruptions add up. I crave my structure and routine.
Today, as far as I know, I am going back into my regular Wednesday routine. I'll see the kids that I see all the time in their regular sessions. Some of the students will be resentful because they already have had music more than usual this week. Others will be happy that they get more music.
I have no plans for what to do with them today.
I will get back to work and establish my routine again. Arrive, check email, start up a television show on DVD (currently am watching Star Wars: Rebels, Season Two), and then start my documentation routine. Yesterday's documentation should be pretty easy - sure, I have 64 notes to do instead of my usual 40+something - everything will be cut and paste since everyone did the same thing yesterday. I'll sit down with my strategy book and plan my sessions for today. I have sessions planned for tomorrow already - centers. I'll keep working on the strategies for next week - more centers are in store for my clients. My schedule is a bit upset due to the inclement weather and some training that's happening today, so I have a couple more hours today than I usually have available to engage in my strategizing process.
I am going to set my intention today and then see it through.
Intention - finish strategizing and planning for next week and the month of June.
Meanwhile, I'll figure out how to teach Tuesday's groups about what to do with centers - something will have to change for those groups from what the Monday and Wednesday groups will do. I wonder what that change will be...
Comments
Post a Comment