The Woes of the Four-Day Work Week

I admit it, I really don't like Monday holidays.

I spent most of yesterday in a fog, trying to remember who I was supposed to see when, and I almost convinced myself that one group of students, sitting in front of me, was not the right group. I didn't say anything, however, because I figured that someone else would come in and correct the situation if I was right (I wasn't). I realized, during the ride home, that I completely forgot one of my pull-out sessions yesterday. Just completely blanked out on that one session. I did do the other seven sessions that I had planned for yesterday, but I feel bad about missing the one session.

I much prefer Fridays off to Mondays off. When there are Monday holidays, I spend the rest of the week trying to catch up. With Friday holidays, I can do my regular routine without making changes to what I am doing and who I am seeing.

I admit it (and it shouldn't be much of a surprise to folks who read this blog), I am creature of habit and structure. I like my routines. I like having a daily schedule, and I don't really like it when things interrupt my schedule. Holidays interrupt my schedule.

So, this is a harangue. It is a tired person making a stink about something that doesn't really matter in the long run.

Time to switch my attitude.

When I find that I need to change my viewpoint, I go through a couple of different techniques to help me reframe my thoughts. (I use these same things with my clients occasionally.)
  1. Identify the thoughts. I have to start by really searching through what is going on. Many times, I am emotional over something that is really not the root of the problem. Once I am completely honest with myself, I usually find that the trigger is just the last of a long set of antecedents and setting events.
  2. Problem solve. Once I know what is going on within myself to make me feel the way I feel, I then try to figure out how to change things to find a more productive life.
  3. Write it down. For me, one of the steps that I have to take in order to make a plan move from theory to reality is to write it down. If it is something like being more purposeful in things like blogging, then I write down the plan on a super-sticky post-it note and place it on my computer. I also use the dashboard in my car as a posting place - I stare out the car windows for 2 hours a day during commutes, so why not use that as a calendar/reminder system?
  4. Check in. I evaluate my progress and practice what I have planned. I adjust as needed. I practice (especially if I have to engage in any sort of conflict resolution), and I continue to plan.
Today, I am struggling because my schedule has changed. I know why this is a difficult situation - I'm not sleeping all that well these days. So, I start the day off very early (like 1:30 am) and am very tired when I actually get to work. There's a crick in my neck that I just can't seem to release. I also missed a session yesterday. All of these things add up into more stress than is warranted. All this, however, has an easy fix. I'll keep my schedule nearby so I can reference it easily during the day. I only have one pull-out session today, so I won't be forgetting too much today. There isn't that much to forget.

I am also going to spend some time at church tonight, putting together my music plans for the fall and advent seasons. I'll go to church right after work, do my planning, attend worship, run a choir rehearsal, come home to talk to my family members, and then crash into sleep. I hope that Thursday morning won't start at 1:30 am, but I'll have to see what happens.

It is time to finish this harangue and start the day in a better frame of mind. I'll spend most of the day singing that it is Wednesday as a way to orient myself to what day I am doing - sometimes the TMEs I choose are for my benefit just as much as they are for my clients' benefits.

Time to start the day.

Happy...um...oh, right! Happy Wednesday! 

By the way, is anyone else having crazy dreams lately? Mine for the last three days have been somewhat disturbing and very vivid. I awoke this morning angry at a nonexistent intern. Then I got upset because I had to confront this intern about the situation. It took me about 20 minutes to calm down and remember that I don't have an intern right now.

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt