Thoughtful Thursday: Ups and Downs
Thursday is always my most difficult day. This is somewhat determined by my schedule - I work a 15 hour day on Wednesdays between my full-time job and my first part-time job - but it also seems to be wear and tear on my aging body. Three days of work in a row seems to be enough, but most folks want you to work ALL the days that you are needed, so I shuffle my aching body back to work on day four (extreme sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments here!). My dad didn't win the lottery last night, so off I go.
I am tired when I wake up. I am tired when I start singing my first opening therapeutic music experience to my first group of students. I am tired when I leave the music therapy room, and I am tired when I get myself back to my home. These days, add in a wonky sprained knee, and I am moving more slowly than I was two weeks ago, I just plain old stagger around everywhere.
My tendency is to be somewhat negative on Thursdays, so I started making Thursdays a bit more thoughtful to help me to focus on the positive things that do happen in my life on these hours. Sometimes I write about a quote that strikes me in some way. Sometimes I write about something I've read. Sometimes I just ramble on and on and on.
My most recent quotation is as follows:
Each person on earth is an expert in being that single person. I must be true to myself in order to be the best me that I can be.
My clients often look at me, roll their eyes, and state "You're crazy." I revel in statements like that. To me, it means that I am able to act like the fool to engage their interests and to develop our therapist-client relationship. I have the chance to be an adult in their lives who actually plays. I get to dance. I get to burst into song at the slightest provocation. I get to pull them into music in many ways.
The funny thing? They respond.
The big "too cool for everything" kids pay attention to what I am doing because it is often something that others don't do around them. They don't always join in, but they do respond - that's a start. The "don't pay attention to me" clients also respond through laughter. I like to think that my singing and dancing and being silly at times helps them realize that they can also risk being a part of the spotlight and/or the group. The "life of the party" students wholeheartedly engage in play. They seem to enjoy having an adult join in.
When I look around my surroundings, I find reminders of the "authentic me" all around. I fully embrace the fact that I am a middle-aged woman who loves toys, games, and silly things. You can see something Star Wars wherever you look around my home and my office. I have an R2-D2 robot that is legend at my facility. Strangers come up to me and ask me about my robot - they've heard about it from the kids and want to know more. I love Disney movies and superhero stories. I love books and music, and I have lots of both of those things around me at all times. This is me.
My job for today is to continue to be me in and through the music I bring to my clients.
That thought both challenges and stimulates me into feelings of energy. I am feeling less tired (my allergy medication may be starting to take effect as well...). I am starting to think about the six large groups that I have to run today, and I am formulating my strategy for how to progress.
Tomorrow is a planning day - no large groups and a large span of time when my room is being used and I can't do therapy. I will spend some time starting my strategy for next week.
Ups and downs. The downs? I'm still tired. The ups? I'm feeling a bit more positive about the day ahead.
Go out there and be the most authentic you that you can be. No one else is qualified.
I am tired when I wake up. I am tired when I start singing my first opening therapeutic music experience to my first group of students. I am tired when I leave the music therapy room, and I am tired when I get myself back to my home. These days, add in a wonky sprained knee, and I am moving more slowly than I was two weeks ago, I just plain old stagger around everywhere.
My tendency is to be somewhat negative on Thursdays, so I started making Thursdays a bit more thoughtful to help me to focus on the positive things that do happen in my life on these hours. Sometimes I write about a quote that strikes me in some way. Sometimes I write about something I've read. Sometimes I just ramble on and on and on.
My most recent quotation is as follows:
Be yourself. No one else is qualified. ~UnknownWhat a nice thought.
Each person on earth is an expert in being that single person. I must be true to myself in order to be the best me that I can be.
My clients often look at me, roll their eyes, and state "You're crazy." I revel in statements like that. To me, it means that I am able to act like the fool to engage their interests and to develop our therapist-client relationship. I have the chance to be an adult in their lives who actually plays. I get to dance. I get to burst into song at the slightest provocation. I get to pull them into music in many ways.
The funny thing? They respond.
The big "too cool for everything" kids pay attention to what I am doing because it is often something that others don't do around them. They don't always join in, but they do respond - that's a start. The "don't pay attention to me" clients also respond through laughter. I like to think that my singing and dancing and being silly at times helps them realize that they can also risk being a part of the spotlight and/or the group. The "life of the party" students wholeheartedly engage in play. They seem to enjoy having an adult join in.
When I look around my surroundings, I find reminders of the "authentic me" all around. I fully embrace the fact that I am a middle-aged woman who loves toys, games, and silly things. You can see something Star Wars wherever you look around my home and my office. I have an R2-D2 robot that is legend at my facility. Strangers come up to me and ask me about my robot - they've heard about it from the kids and want to know more. I love Disney movies and superhero stories. I love books and music, and I have lots of both of those things around me at all times. This is me.
My job for today is to continue to be me in and through the music I bring to my clients.
That thought both challenges and stimulates me into feelings of energy. I am feeling less tired (my allergy medication may be starting to take effect as well...). I am starting to think about the six large groups that I have to run today, and I am formulating my strategy for how to progress.
Tomorrow is a planning day - no large groups and a large span of time when my room is being used and I can't do therapy. I will spend some time starting my strategy for next week.
Ups and downs. The downs? I'm still tired. The ups? I'm feeling a bit more positive about the day ahead.
Go out there and be the most authentic you that you can be. No one else is qualified.
Comments
Post a Comment