Back to Work

Today, I will take my lunch box, my new stuff, and myself, dressed in my work uniform, and go to work. I have three weeks (12 days) of work to go through for this last session of our Extended School Year (ESY) before another break and then the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Today will be a day of new colleagues (though I sincerely doubt that ANY of them will come to the music therapy room) and some new students. I have written down the ideas that I have for the Cuckoo in the Woods and the Aviary movements of Carnival of the Animals, but I haven't thought about it at all during this past week, so I am not sure what I'm going to be doing. In other words, this is just another ordinary day.

Some time back, our principal offered the opportunity to work during our school breaks for time and a half (based on our own salaries). I am refusing to do so because I need time away from being a therapist. Even though the money is good, the self-care element is more important than the money.

I spent the week off engaged in peripheral therapy things. I created, and I thought, and I wrote, and I moved things around. Some of the things I did had direct music therapy influence, but many of my tasks did not. That worked out well for me. I could use some more time at home (I'm not quite to the boredom/refreshed state), but I know that there isn't much time before the next break, so I can move forward.

I read something today that talks about self-care not being the "fun" stuff that we do - the shopping, the vacations, etc. It spoke about self-care being the motivation to get up, to actually engage in the day, and making the effort to do what needs to be done. I agree with that sentiment. I think that the daily efforts that you make are self-care. I make conscious decisions about my self on a moment to moment basis. All of the decisions that I make have a direct influence on my level of self-care and happiness. No one else is responsible for my happiness and self-care. Others can influence how I respond, but I make the ultimate decisions for myself.

I am thinking that I will spend time engaged in session strategy development, learning more about the new folks around, and playing some music. When I get home, I'll eat my dinner, run a webinar for interns, and then talk to my sister. All of these actions form my self-care plan.

Time to go back to work. See you tomorrow for TME Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Going on a Squeegee Hunt