Brainstorming, Mind Mapping, New Thoughts
This was a rough week. It started with a day off - which is always nice - but that meant that we all went back to four days of being a bit off. The iPod had a meltdown, stopped talking to the computer and then stopped talking to me. Middle school clients were rioting, fists were flying, screaming was happening everywhere, but definitely in the music therapy room. There was some consolation in the fact that middle schoolers were screaming everywhere, but it didn't make things any quieter in my small, acoustically difficult space.
What are your biggest group therapy challenges?
How do you engage diverse clients into a common therapeutic music experience?
I know what I usually do in these situations, but my current methods of interaction just aren't working these days. My philosophy about this is if the clients aren't fitting to the current treatment service delivery model, then you change the delivery model to fit the clients.
I spent the entire afternoon thinking through the problems I've seen in sessions lately. I came to the conclusion that the groups that have so many problems lately don't seem to have their classroom pecking order figured out yet. There is no established leader to help regulate responses and reactions.
The presence of someone, a peer who is a leader, is important for group dynamics. The leader role often makes of breaks a group. If there is no leader present, the rest of the body of the group doesn't really know what to do.
I've studied group dynamics over the years, but I've just recently come to a conclusion about how my particular groups work. I am thinking of them as individuals, but one body. One client is the brain, one the arms, etc...
So, as I was thinking about these particular groups, I started wanting my Inspiration software so I could mind map what I was thinking. This morning, I sat down with my software and came up with this mind map of my problem.
The obstacles are the things I cannot change - group assignment, room, staffing. I could also add length of sessions since that is not determined by me but by our administrators. The patterns are things I've observed about the groups. My conclusion? On the mind map, right at the bottom there...
For me, the best thing about mapping my problems is that I can see them. This may seem simplistic to non-visual learners, but I do best when I can see something. That's why I make and use these mind maps. By seeing what I have identified as strengths and areas of focus, I can start to see patterns and relationships. That helps me come to a solution... or at least something to try for the next several weeks.
My session planning will also change. I will try this type of format with my middle schoolers next week and will see how it works. I won't stop doing this format for at least 4 sessions - this is due to a need to work out the details on how it will work and to make it something that all of my clients can understand. I will focus on center work, decreasing the need for social interaction (which, unfortunately is one of the treatment goals), and increasing opportunities to have natural breaks for staff members and kids.
If this doesn't work, I'll go back to my software, mind maps, and brainstorming. I will figure this out.
What are your biggest group therapy challenges?
What are your biggest group therapy challenges?
How do you engage diverse clients into a common therapeutic music experience?
I know what I usually do in these situations, but my current methods of interaction just aren't working these days. My philosophy about this is if the clients aren't fitting to the current treatment service delivery model, then you change the delivery model to fit the clients.
I spent the entire afternoon thinking through the problems I've seen in sessions lately. I came to the conclusion that the groups that have so many problems lately don't seem to have their classroom pecking order figured out yet. There is no established leader to help regulate responses and reactions.
The presence of someone, a peer who is a leader, is important for group dynamics. The leader role often makes of breaks a group. If there is no leader present, the rest of the body of the group doesn't really know what to do.
I've studied group dynamics over the years, but I've just recently come to a conclusion about how my particular groups work. I am thinking of them as individuals, but one body. One client is the brain, one the arms, etc...
So, as I was thinking about these particular groups, I started wanting my Inspiration software so I could mind map what I was thinking. This morning, I sat down with my software and came up with this mind map of my problem.
![]() |
| Mind Map - Middle School Client Groups |
For me, the best thing about mapping my problems is that I can see them. This may seem simplistic to non-visual learners, but I do best when I can see something. That's why I make and use these mind maps. By seeing what I have identified as strengths and areas of focus, I can start to see patterns and relationships. That helps me come to a solution... or at least something to try for the next several weeks.
My session planning will also change. I will try this type of format with my middle schoolers next week and will see how it works. I won't stop doing this format for at least 4 sessions - this is due to a need to work out the details on how it will work and to make it something that all of my clients can understand. I will focus on center work, decreasing the need for social interaction (which, unfortunately is one of the treatment goals), and increasing opportunities to have natural breaks for staff members and kids.
If this doesn't work, I'll go back to my software, mind maps, and brainstorming. I will figure this out.
What are your biggest group therapy challenges?

Comments
Post a Comment