April Fool's Day

Today is my parent's 49th anniversary. I always have to say that on this day because people just don't believe it, but it is true. They got married on this day because it was the first day of my Dad's Spring Break, and they could have an entire week for a honeymoon. My grandmother flew to Kansas for the ceremony and had it in the back of her head that she would arrive, everyone would yell "April Fool's" and that would be that. She was wrong.

Today is more than a goofy day for me. It has always been a day when I was thankful for my parents and the marriage they built. This year, I am expanding my thankfulness to my grandparents and the marriages that they built. This focus on the generation that came before is happening because my grandmother died yesterday morning. I am honestly rejoicing that she was able to go on her own terms, with a limited amount of bother, and that she is able to see what is next for us all. 

My grandmother married the love of her life and missed him every day of the past 20 years. She told me, during our last visit, that she didn't know why God hadn't taken her home to be with Him and with Granddad. She then smirked and offered to let me visit Granddad (she kept his ashes in the closet). Grandma and Granddad had four children who had ten children who have nineteen children (don't get too excited, 10 of those children are in the same family). Their example for marriage was not perfect (whose is?), but it was stable, love-filled, and solid.

I think my other grandparents had a different situation. I know there was a feeling of mutual respect, but I don't think that the love experience was the same. They also had a stable and solid marriage.

Two good examples of marriage for my parents who took their examples and made their own good marriage.

I am lucky that I have two parents who love and respect each other. I am happy to be celebrating their marriage and the beginning of our family. I am proud of my parents for sticking in through trials and happiness. I am humbled and honored by their dedication to themselves, to their relationship, and to their children.

For me, today will be a time of memories, falling for "jokes" by my students (I'm not wearing shoelaces, but I will be told, over and over again, that my shoelaces are untied), and rejoicing for the lives that eventually created my own life.

Happy April Fool's Day, everyone.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:06 AM

    I'm so sorry for your loss. And glad your grandparents are reunited. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment