7 Things Every Music Therapist Should Do On a Regular Basis
I am a music therapist.
That statement is so meaningful to me, even after 23 years of being able to say it out loud. I love being in a music therapy session watching my clients learn more about themselves while making music. I enjoy being a helper and a musician at the same time. As a 23 year veteran of this profession, I think there are some things that every music therapist should do in order to keep themselves interested and passionate about being a music therapist. Here they are, in no particular order, and in my opinion...
That statement is so meaningful to me, even after 23 years of being able to say it out loud. I love being in a music therapy session watching my clients learn more about themselves while making music. I enjoy being a helper and a musician at the same time. As a 23 year veteran of this profession, I think there are some things that every music therapist should do in order to keep themselves interested and passionate about being a music therapist. Here they are, in no particular order, and in my opinion...
- Self-care - This should be a given, but often doesn't seem to be. Music therapists have to take care of themselves before they can be able to take care of others. For me, self-care includes naps, time alone, reading, and making things. For others, self-care is going to a bar or places with lots of other people. Vacations are an important part of self-care, but don't discount the small things as well. Sometimes self-care is as simple as listening to a song that you love.
- Be around other music therapists - If you are lucky enough to be in a place where you are surrounded with other music therapists who get what you do, take time to enjoy being there. If you are like me, isolated in your workplace, it's important to go where other music therapists are to help remember that other people do understand what we do and know all of the joys that being a music therapist can bring to clients. I go to a music therapy conference once a year to get that connection with others. I also am involved in a couple of music therapy groups that help me get that feeling of belonging to something bigger than myself and my clinical practice.
- Talk to music therapy students or interns - I don't just mean lecture to these folks, I mean talk to them about music therapy. Ask questions and listen to their answers. I love hearing from those who are entering the profession. Their perspectives, energies, plans for the future, and concerns are fascinating.
- Make music - It's important to stay connected to your musician side as much as you can. Find a place where you can be "that soprano" or "that cornet player" and make that music! Sing or play songs that you love for the simple reason that you get to make music. Write music compositions. Share music with others as a performer rather than as a therapist.
- Share your ideas about music therapy with others - I have some music therapy friends who are paralyzed by the thought of presenting their thoughts and experiences to other music therapy professionals. I say, "Poppycock!" The ideas of all music therapists are valuable to other music therapists, even if others do not always agree with what you say - never underestimate the value of respectful debate! Share your ideas with other music therapists! If you disagree with something, speak up!
- Get away from the music - In addition to finding a place where you can make music, also arrange time when you are away from music. Cultivate hobbies and interests that are removed from music and music therapy. Find and enjoy silence on a regular basis.
- Find your music therapy tribe - This one has taken me some time, but it is important to find a group of music therapists who you like, respect, and can talk to. Your tribe may include people who think just like you, but it is more interesting when your tribe includes more diverse people. The important thing is to build your own music therapy community.
Comments
Post a Comment