Thoughtful Thursday: The Dilemma of Change

I am not someone who loves change for change's sake. I don't think that you should mess too much with things that are working, but I also think that if something isn't working, you should change. This week's quotation has been one that makes me pause. 



"Change before you have to."

The process of change is not always an easy one, but, for me, it is made much easier if I am part of the change from the get-go. There is nothing wrong with change, but sneak attacks where changes are made that directly affect the lives of others are not a good way to go. Imposing change on someone else is not respectful. Often, when you are a person who is affected by changes that others want to make, the only alternative is to remove yourself from the situation.

I feel that it is important to own your changes. I know that the most difficult changes and decisions that I have had to make in my life were not entirely my own, but I stepped up and made the final choice. This allows me to own these difficult decisions. I changed because I felt I had to do so - there was no other recourse for me and my health. I could live with the changes that others wanted to impose upon me, or I could break out and be a more authentic me.

In my life as a music therapist, I think that pursuing change is a double-edged sword. I don't think I need to change how I do things every time someone comes up with a new way of thinking about music therapy, but I do think that I owe it to my clients to pursue new ideas and ways of thinking about music as a therapeutic medium in order to give each client the best music therapy experience that he or she deserves. This means learning, getting continuing education, and reading research (there is that theme of being research-informed again) to make the changes in my therapeutic approach that my clients deserve from me.

It's time to change for the better.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals