A Splash of Organized Color
I am on a constant quest for organization. This has something to do with my pack-rat tendencies as well as my bent towards perfectionism, and probably lots to do with my mother and her mother and her mother before her. I want minimalism and end up with whatever the opposite of minimalism is all around me.
In my quest to be a more organized human being, I have found that color coding is my key (especially in my music therapy environment).
Two years ago, my facility went through a major renovation that led me to being more of an itinerant therapist than ever. I had to run sessions in four different locations, and I had to figure out how to organize myself so I could keep session plans and materials straight. Solution? Color-coding!!
At the time, I had two interns who also needed some organization. Solution? Color-coding!!
Each one of us had a different color box to use during the transition time. In addition, we each had a box for each session location. I could pick up the clear box that was stored anywhere and know that my materials were inside. I knew not to pick up the red or blue boxes - they weren't mine to use.
I am finding other ways to use color to organize my music therapy world. I'm toying with the idea of making my file folder activities color-coded so I can pull folders without having to look at the titles. My major obstacle is figuring out how to use the color to organize.
Do I organize by primary goal? Theme? Needed materials? Squeeee! The options are unlimited. It is time, however, to start down a pathway - any pathway - and then commit. Theme makes the most sense, but primary goal domain also makes sense to me. I am going to think about this some more.
I have the tools - colored file folders, corresponding stickers, cardstock, paper, and index cards! It is time to start organizing. Behavioral/Emotional domain - pink/red; Motor domain - purple; Communication/Social domain - blue; Cognitive/Academic domain - green; Music domain - yellow/orange. There will be cross-references and links to other TMEs to make for entire sessions. The possibilities are endless!
The key to a good organization system is sustainability. I have to be able to use this system from now on and easily add new things to the system. Time to move into a different way of organizing.
Time to start the process.
Happy Wednesday, everyone!
In my quest to be a more organized human being, I have found that color coding is my key (especially in my music therapy environment).
Two years ago, my facility went through a major renovation that led me to being more of an itinerant therapist than ever. I had to run sessions in four different locations, and I had to figure out how to organize myself so I could keep session plans and materials straight. Solution? Color-coding!!
At the time, I had two interns who also needed some organization. Solution? Color-coding!!
Each one of us had a different color box to use during the transition time. In addition, we each had a box for each session location. I could pick up the clear box that was stored anywhere and know that my materials were inside. I knew not to pick up the red or blue boxes - they weren't mine to use.
I am finding other ways to use color to organize my music therapy world. I'm toying with the idea of making my file folder activities color-coded so I can pull folders without having to look at the titles. My major obstacle is figuring out how to use the color to organize.
Do I organize by primary goal? Theme? Needed materials? Squeeee! The options are unlimited. It is time, however, to start down a pathway - any pathway - and then commit. Theme makes the most sense, but primary goal domain also makes sense to me. I am going to think about this some more.
I have the tools - colored file folders, corresponding stickers, cardstock, paper, and index cards! It is time to start organizing. Behavioral/Emotional domain - pink/red; Motor domain - purple; Communication/Social domain - blue; Cognitive/Academic domain - green; Music domain - yellow/orange. There will be cross-references and links to other TMEs to make for entire sessions. The possibilities are endless!
The key to a good organization system is sustainability. I have to be able to use this system from now on and easily add new things to the system. Time to move into a different way of organizing.
Time to start the process.
Happy Wednesday, everyone!
Comments
Post a Comment