Thoughtful Thursday: Today
This week's quotation comes from Benjamin Franklin, adage author, inventor, prankster, and all around smart guy. This quote really speaks to my procrastinating tendencies and reminds me that the now is so much more powerful than the soon.
It is important to remember to be aware of the now moments that happen, especially in therapy sessions. This is something that I need to remind myself of during months like this one - be mindful of each moment. Yesterday, I spent some time listening to a client talking about a subject that I know NOTHING about - skateboarding - in the middle of a group music therapy session. His peers and staff members were tired of the talk, but I was able to get them to do something else and then spend some time simply listening to what he wanted to say. I still don't know anything about skateboarding (seriously, we were talking about the kinds of wheels that he wanted to get for his boards), but I think he felt that someone took time to connect with him. That talk made me feel like I knew him a bit better than I did when he first walked into the room, and I feel that the moment was important for our relationship.
I hope that I can remember this thought during the busy times. I will strive to remember this thought during the busy times. In music therapy, there always has to be some forward thought (otherwise you stagnate), but you cannot spend all of your time thinking about what comes next - there has to be some recognition and realization of what is happening here and now, otherwise, why bother?
It is time to wander out into whatever this day brings.
It is important to remember to be aware of the now moments that happen, especially in therapy sessions. This is something that I need to remind myself of during months like this one - be mindful of each moment. Yesterday, I spent some time listening to a client talking about a subject that I know NOTHING about - skateboarding - in the middle of a group music therapy session. His peers and staff members were tired of the talk, but I was able to get them to do something else and then spend some time simply listening to what he wanted to say. I still don't know anything about skateboarding (seriously, we were talking about the kinds of wheels that he wanted to get for his boards), but I think he felt that someone took time to connect with him. That talk made me feel like I knew him a bit better than I did when he first walked into the room, and I feel that the moment was important for our relationship.I hope that I can remember this thought during the busy times. I will strive to remember this thought during the busy times. In music therapy, there always has to be some forward thought (otherwise you stagnate), but you cannot spend all of your time thinking about what comes next - there has to be some recognition and realization of what is happening here and now, otherwise, why bother?
It is time to wander out into whatever this day brings.
Comments
Post a Comment