Refocus...

Music therapy.

I found the flyer and letters for the high school student Meet and Greet at the AMTA conference this year. I printed them off because I have a couple of people who are in high school and have expressed interest in music therapy. I hope they take advantage and come to the conference. When I was in high school, I would have absolutely LOVED being able to come to a place where there were so many music therapists in one place. It would have been so reassuring to know that there were other people out there doing what I dreamed about doing in a world where no one knew what I was talking about.

Join me in my "Way Back Machine."

The year, 1984. Little MJ hears a person offhandedly mentioning "Oh, there is another department here on campus called music therapy. Here are some flyers." That was it. That was the moment that changed my life. Thank goodness I was at the University of Evansville for Studio 84, a scouting Wider Opportunity. I attended as a vocalist due to the fact that the Girl Scouts didn't seem to think that girls played trumpet, so singing was my path to Indiana and to music therapy.

Fast forward a year or two - I'm starting to think about colleges. My parents are trying to stay out of the process. One night, a recruiter from Harvard called. (I have no idea why they called me - I have NEVER been interested in Harvard!) They asked me if I would be interested in interviewing for a place at their university. I asked them if they had a music therapy program. They did not, so I said "no thank you," and hung up! My parents were in shock. Harvard?? Music therapy?? I guess they had never heard me say that I wanted to study music therapy.

Back to the present now.

I still love this profession that chose me. I have been able to find jobs to keep myself financially healthy. I find great personal satisfaction in using music to help others move towards their personal goals. I love the greater community of music therapy, and there are times when I have to remind myself of the great things that are available for us. I am hoping to be able to be in the room when we, the professionals, welcome students to experience part of the bigger world of music therapy. I don't know if I'll be able to, but I'm going to try.

What is your music therapy origin story? 

Comments

  1. I was going to be a photographer, like my dad. I auditioned for a bassoon scholarship at Sam Houston State (where my dad got his photography degree). I had played bassoon all through high school and wanted to continue. After I auditioned, they suggested I talk to the MT director. I'd never heard of MT but as she described it, I knew it was what I was called to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals