Supplemental Sunday: Lap Books
Lap books are file folder activities up a notch - there are flaps, multiple things to look at and do, and are something that I like designing and using with clients who need or want independent time that has a musical theme. Lap books are something that are pretty popular on the education feeds on Pinterest. I haven't moved past basic flaps on my lap books yet, but someday I will figure out how to make nifty flaps on each page AND get them laminated for durability!
The idea is simple enough. Use a file folder to make a book. When I do this, I fold the folder into the middle as indicated here - and then I trim off small pieces so I can fit the folder into the laminating film. Then it's time to get creative. I have included two examples here - the Manners lap book and the Instrument Family lap book.
The Manners lap book is based on some piggy back songs that some of my clients wrote a bit ago. The questions on the front cover match the manner songs printed on the inside. On the reverse side of the cover flaps, there are answers to the fill-in-the-blank questions on the front.
The Instrument Family lap book is organized the same way. Questions on the front and answers on the back of the flaps. What happens on the center portion of the file folder varies...
I realized I don't have a picture of the inside of the Instrument Family lap book, but for that one, I decided to use some of my instrument stickers to make a matching game. Clients draw lines between instruments from the same families (allows me to test subject mastery). The inside of the Manners lap book has the Manners songs on the inside.
One of the things that I've noticed about putting together these lap books is that my clients could care less about the decorations, but I care, so I always make one version straight black and white (which is best for those with learning concerns) and I make another version that satisfies my need for color and coordination and using all of my scrapbooking tools!
How do I do this? I make master copies of all of the pieces and then I use the pieces and add other things.
Oh, to finish each lap book up, I spend lots of time trying to figure out where to put Velcro to keep the flaps closed when we're not using them. (This was the most difficult part of the entire project - Velcro placement, go figure!!!)
So, what types of things would you put into a lap book? Share in the comments!!
The idea is simple enough. Use a file folder to make a book. When I do this, I fold the folder into the middle as indicated here - and then I trim off small pieces so I can fit the folder into the laminating film. Then it's time to get creative. I have included two examples here - the Manners lap book and the Instrument Family lap book. The Manners lap book is based on some piggy back songs that some of my clients wrote a bit ago. The questions on the front cover match the manner songs printed on the inside. On the reverse side of the cover flaps, there are answers to the fill-in-the-blank questions on the front.
The Instrument Family lap book is organized the same way. Questions on the front and answers on the back of the flaps. What happens on the center portion of the file folder varies...
I realized I don't have a picture of the inside of the Instrument Family lap book, but for that one, I decided to use some of my instrument stickers to make a matching game. Clients draw lines between instruments from the same families (allows me to test subject mastery). The inside of the Manners lap book has the Manners songs on the inside.
One of the things that I've noticed about putting together these lap books is that my clients could care less about the decorations, but I care, so I always make one version straight black and white (which is best for those with learning concerns) and I make another version that satisfies my need for color and coordination and using all of my scrapbooking tools!
How do I do this? I make master copies of all of the pieces and then I use the pieces and add other things.
Oh, to finish each lap book up, I spend lots of time trying to figure out where to put Velcro to keep the flaps closed when we're not using them. (This was the most difficult part of the entire project - Velcro placement, go figure!!!)
So, what types of things would you put into a lap book? Share in the comments!!

Comments
Post a Comment