My Essential Tool - The "Always" Kit
I have an "Always" bag... or box... or shelf... or drawer... within reach of every session that I run. In my "Always" place, I keep the essential tools that I always want, need, and can use without much active thinking. This "Always" place has changed over the years, but the essential elements remain the same. Here are the contents of my "Always" toolkit...
- A pen and pencil velcroed to the box/bag/shelf - you never know when you need one and who wants to waste time looking for a pen when you need one?
- The iPod - this tool is wonderful! It has replaced the small book of CDs that I used to carry around with me in my toolkit.
- Shaker eggs and/or rhythm sticks - a full classroom set of instruments along with my collection of ideas on how to use them.
- Marketing materials - business cards, information sheets, schedules, rates for services, and AMTA materials - perfect for supporting "elevator speeches."
- Index cards - for jotting down therapeutic music experience ideas (TMEs)
- Super-sticky Post-It Notes - in fun shapes and for reminders that I can see anywhere and everywhere, including in my car - my dashboard is covered at times with these festive little pieces of sticky paper.
- Guitar strings, tuner, capo, and peg puller - you just never know.
| The instrument shelf - there is a method to this madness... |
What is in your "Always" toolkit? What are your essentials in your area?

I actually really understand this -- for me, my space includes the stuff that goes along with having little kids. Everything needs to have its' own spot, or the space just FEELS cluttered. For you, it's even more important in the clinical space. Thanks so much for sharing. :)
ReplyDelete