Thinking About Music Therapy

I am immersed in three different projects having to do with very different perspectives of music therapy right now. I'm not going to go into any of the details, but these projects encompass the width and breadth of music therapy - philosophy, research, and practice.

One of the best things and worst things about thinking about music therapy is the need to explore what others are doing. I love looking to see what others are doing, but it also challenges me. My "coulda, woulda, shoulda" goblins come out and attempt to take over. Thoughts similar to "I should be doing community music therapy" start to pop into my head at random moments. So, I spend time thinking about what I should be doing rather than appreciating what I am doing. We always have to remember that what we are doing is just as important to the field as what others are doing.

CHANGE OF TOPIC...

I am fascinated about the history of music therapy - why we (each of us in the world of music therapy) are music therapists, why we practice the way we practice, and how our ideas were shaped and formed. This history informs our philosophy which informs our research which informs our practice. Without an understanding of the history of music therapy and how it developed, can we really understand how we practice today? I'm not sure we can.

The best thing about knowing the music therapy history is that the history spurs our future development. If you know where you came from, where your ideas came from, you can start to stretch your ideas and perspectives in new ways. The "what-if" questions can start. Without the foundation of "what was," "what-if" cannot fully grow and bloom.

CHANGE OF TOPIC...

I'm about ready to dive into some new perspectives on music therapy - things outside my comfort zone and not part of my regular music therapy lexicon. I hope that these new perspectives will help me further develop my own view of music therapy in ways that will allow me to refine how I approach our profession.

I have found that it is just as valuable to disagree with someone else's views on music therapy as it is to agree. I don't have to do everything in music therapy. I just have to do what I can do the best - whatever that is at this time right now. If I can read and converse with others about music therapy, I can figure out what it is to me. There are many forms of music therapy that I do not practice. There are some music therapy ideas that I simply do not agree with at all, but knowing that those ideas are out there helps me to refine my own beliefs about my own style.

CHANGE OF TOPIC...

I may be a bit absent next week. I have an upcoming trip that may interrupt my blogging, but do not despair! Spring Break is coming up, so I am sure that there will be plenty of things happening during that time. It's time for some virtual trips. Maybe they will be music therapy themed virtual trips. Be on the lookout for some information about music therapy websites that are out there...

Shiny!

See you tomorrow!
By the way, what is your music therapy origin story? How did you learn about music therapy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anticipation Builds...

There's Always Something...

Thoughtful Thursday: Values and Directions and Goals